Jun 22, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Blues GM Doug Armstrong wanted to keep Ott, but the talks with his camp have “gone quiet” while Morrow’s agent, Brad Devin said there’s “no news to report” regarding his client, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
After locking up most of the team’s biggest unrestricted free agents well in advance, Armstrong wants to keep his options open ahead of the draft so that he has the financial flexibility necessary to trade for a second-line center if the opportunity arises. Armstrong still hasn’t ruled out re-signing Ott and is open to bringing back Morrow even if he tests the free agent waters first, but in both cases, they would have to be willing to sign within the Blues’ guidelines.
“We want to do fair contracts, but we don’t want to be anybody’s retirement package,” Armstrong said.
The Blues have nearly $22 million in cap space left, but they have to re-sign restricted free agents Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Jaden Schwartz, in addition to ideally acquiring the second-line center. On top of that, the Blues don’t anticipate spending to the ceiling in 2014-15.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
He emerged as the team’s No. 2 center last season.
Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
That adds another layer to the Flames’ goaltending competition.
Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
He has played in 132 NHL games.
Jul 27, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
It led to him having a minor procedure.
Jul 27, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
He’ll enter training camp with a shot of making the team.
Jul 27, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
“I can be a lot better.”
Jul 27, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
He’s the last RFA left for them to re-sign.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 0
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 3
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 57
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (59)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)