Jun 22, 2014, 11:21 AM EST
Blues GM Doug Armstrong wanted to keep Ott, but the talks with his camp have “gone quiet” while Morrow’s agent, Brad Devin said there’s “no news to report” regarding his client, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
After locking up most of the team’s biggest unrestricted free agents well in advance, Armstrong wants to keep his options open ahead of the draft so that he has the financial flexibility necessary to trade for a second-line center if the opportunity arises. Armstrong still hasn’t ruled out re-signing Ott and is open to bringing back Morrow even if he tests the free agent waters first, but in both cases, they would have to be willing to sign within the Blues’ guidelines.
“We want to do fair contracts, but we don’t want to be anybody’s retirement package,” Armstrong said.
The Blues have nearly $22 million in cap space left, but they have to re-sign restricted free agents Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Jaden Schwartz, in addition to ideally acquiring the second-line center. On top of that, the Blues don’t anticipate spending to the ceiling in 2014-15.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)