Jun 22, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Blues GM Doug Armstrong wanted to keep Ott, but the talks with his camp have “gone quiet” while Morrow’s agent, Brad Devin said there’s “no news to report” regarding his client, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
After locking up most of the team’s biggest unrestricted free agents well in advance, Armstrong wants to keep his options open ahead of the draft so that he has the financial flexibility necessary to trade for a second-line center if the opportunity arises. Armstrong still hasn’t ruled out re-signing Ott and is open to bringing back Morrow even if he tests the free agent waters first, but in both cases, they would have to be willing to sign within the Blues’ guidelines.
“We want to do fair contracts, but we don’t want to be anybody’s retirement package,” Armstrong said.
The Blues have nearly $22 million in cap space left, but they have to re-sign restricted free agents Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, Jaden Schwartz, in addition to ideally acquiring the second-line center. On top of that, the Blues don’t anticipate spending to the ceiling in 2014-15.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)