Jun 21, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Fans in Minnesota have been clamoring for an outdoor NHL game to be played there for years and now it looks like their wish is going to come true.
According to Michael Russo of The Star Tribune, the Minnesota Wild will not be hosting an outdoor game in the 2014-15 season, but will have one coming their way for the 2015-16 season.
Russo’s word from a NHL insider said the league tried to get a Stadium Series game against the Dallas Stars scheduled for the upcoming season in February at Target Field, but they weren’t able to get logistics figured out for other events (college and high school games) to be fit into the schedule.
There were also concerns over what the condition of the field would be with the date coming so close to the start of baseball season.
All of those issues apparently wouldn’t be an issue for the following season as Russo shared.
The league source said, “At the end of the day, both of us determined that next year would be better. It’s going to happen next year.”
It’s probably true Wild fans will be upset knowing the game won’t happen in the upcoming season because of , but the fact they want to bring the old franchise back to town (the Stars) to be part of the game should get everyone excited for it to possibly happen in 2016.
For now it seems Minnesota fans’ patience will be rewarded, they’ll just have to use a little bit more to bide their time. With things still being up in the air, the possibility they host a Winter Classic is still out there. At the very least, a Stadium Series game would keep fans happy.
Now the biggest question out of this: Would Wild fans be able to handle seeing Dallas possibly sporting North Stars jerseys for the game?
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)