Jun 21, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Not qualifying the big backup might seem like a clear sign of a split, yet it’s a lot easier to understand when you consider the cost: it would have required an expensive $2.2 million offer.
That’s $200K more than Tomas Vokoun made in his deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins as more of a 1B to Marc-Andre Fleury than a true backup. Despite also being a former Nashville Predators netminder, Lindback is no Vokoun. At least not yet.
Lindback went 10-10-1 in 2012-13 with the Lightning, yet any hopes of him topping a mediocre performance (.902 save percentage) fizzled as he was even worse this past season. At the moment, he’s well under .500 in regular season games with the Lightning and experienced a pretty miserable series against the Montreal Canadiens.*
It’s not that far-fetched to imagine a return because, frankly, the Lightning might be one of the few teams open-minded enough to give the towering 26-year-old a halfway decent deal. They gave up a whopping package of two second-rounders and one third-rounder to nab Lindback from Nashville, so there could still be some organizational drive to get more out of that lopsided trade.
“We are going to look and see what is out there, but (Lindback) is on the list,’’ Yzerman said.
It’s tough to tell how many other teams will have Lindback on their lists … at least in the NHL.
* – To be fair, he wasn’t the only one.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)