Jun 21, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
The IIHF passes along word that the KHL is likely to add three teams while losing two for the 2014-15 season.
Incoming: Two new Russian teams (HC Sochi and Lada) plus Finnish team Jokerit.
One can assume that the 2014 Winter Olympics had a huge impact on Sochi adding a KHL team.
Outgoing for sure: HC Donbass will miss at least the 2014-15 season.
Almost certainly leaving as well: Spartak Moscow appears to be in dire financial straits. The IIHF passes along quotes about the team’s roster departing while representatives consider it “95 percent” certain that they won’t participate in the KHL’s next season.
So, long story short, it sounds like the KHL will have one more team next season.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 70
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)