Jun 21, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
The IIHF passes along word that the KHL is likely to add three teams while losing two for the 2014-15 season.
Incoming: Two new Russian teams (HC Sochi and Lada) plus Finnish team Jokerit.
One can assume that the 2014 Winter Olympics had a huge impact on Sochi adding a KHL team.
Outgoing for sure: HC Donbass will miss at least the 2014-15 season.
Almost certainly leaving as well: Spartak Moscow appears to be in dire financial straits. The IIHF passes along quotes about the team’s roster departing while representatives consider it “95 percent” certain that they won’t participate in the KHL’s next season.
So, long story short, it sounds like the KHL will have one more team next season.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 18
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13