Jun 21, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper had a tremendous season leading the team to the playoffs.
After navigating the drama of Steven Stamkos‘ broken leg and Martin St. Louis‘ demand to be traded, he was recognized for his efforts and named a finalist for the Jack Adams Award for coach of the year.
As Cooper tells Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times, he’s a bit starstruck by who he’s up against for the award.
“My name is being thrown around with Patrick Roy, he’s still a Hall of Fame goaltender in this league, and Mike Babcock, who is probably eventually going to be a Hall of Fame coach in the league,” Cooper said. “So it’s one of those, ‘Which name is not like the other?’ That’s kind of what I am.”
The former lawyer turned hockey coach may not think he belongs in the conversation with Roy and Babcock, but Cooper’s efforts in getting the Lightning to the postseason demanded that he be put in the limelight amongst coaches.
In his first full season in Tampa, Cooper led the team to a 46-27-9 record and a second place finish in the Atlantic Division before ultimately getting swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Montreal Canadiens.
When it’s all said and done on the 24th at the NHL Awards, it may be Babcock and Roy who have the glowing words about Cooper.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)