Jun 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
When the 2014 NHL Draft kicks in, the Phoenix Coyotes will transform into the Arizona Coyotes. That’s not the only reason why the events of June 27-28 will be a big deal, though, as GM Don Maloney explains.
“It’s the Super Bowl for our scouts,” Maloney said. “It’s really the foundation of your whole franchise. If you do a good job at the draft table you acquire assets that can be used not only for yourself but also assets maybe you can use in other deals… The draft weekend is as important as they come.”
(Feel free to insert your favorite halftime show performer/expensive commercial jokes here.)
Maloney indicates that the team might want to call an audible around draft time, either moving up or down from their No. 12 pick.
“We like the top end of the first round,” Maloney said. “If we could get ourselves up into the top four or five picks we’d certainly look to do it. I don’t know how realistic that is for us. I think we’re more inclined to move down from our pick at No. 12 depending on how it flows… These decisions all come down to the draft table and what the flow is like and what the phone calls are like.”
” … It’s important to do your homework and kind of reach out to everybody and let everybody know ‘Listen, we’re very flexible where we’re at.'”
Even if they stay put in their current position, the Coyotes could stock up on some solid talent in Philadelphia. They own that No. 12 pick along with two second-rounders (43rd and 58th overall) giving them three picks in the top 60. With the 73rd pick, they also have four choices in the top 80. Overall, they have eight selections in the draft; that’s not half-bad, as four nhl teams are tied in front of them with nine picks.
Interestingly, the Coyotes chose 12th overall in 2013, picking up an intriguing talent in Max Domi, so it’s a familiar spot for Phoenix.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)