Jun 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
When the 2014 NHL Draft kicks in, the Phoenix Coyotes will transform into the Arizona Coyotes. That’s not the only reason why the events of June 27-28 will be a big deal, though, as GM Don Maloney explains.
“It’s the Super Bowl for our scouts,” Maloney said. “It’s really the foundation of your whole franchise. If you do a good job at the draft table you acquire assets that can be used not only for yourself but also assets maybe you can use in other deals… The draft weekend is as important as they come.”
(Feel free to insert your favorite halftime show performer/expensive commercial jokes here.)
Maloney indicates that the team might want to call an audible around draft time, either moving up or down from their No. 12 pick.
“We like the top end of the first round,” Maloney said. “If we could get ourselves up into the top four or five picks we’d certainly look to do it. I don’t know how realistic that is for us. I think we’re more inclined to move down from our pick at No. 12 depending on how it flows… These decisions all come down to the draft table and what the flow is like and what the phone calls are like.”
” … It’s important to do your homework and kind of reach out to everybody and let everybody know ‘Listen, we’re very flexible where we’re at.'”
Even if they stay put in their current position, the Coyotes could stock up on some solid talent in Philadelphia. They own that No. 12 pick along with two second-rounders (43rd and 58th overall) giving them three picks in the top 60. With the 73rd pick, they also have four choices in the top 80. Overall, they have eight selections in the draft; that’s not half-bad, as four nhl teams are tied in front of them with nine picks.
Interestingly, the Coyotes chose 12th overall in 2013, picking up an intriguing talent in Max Domi, so it’s a familiar spot for Phoenix.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)