Jun 20, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Earlier in the month, it was reported that Iginla and the Boston Bruins were talking contract extension. But obviously, nothing has been agreed upon yet. The B’s have a tight cap situation, made tighter by a significant bonus overage, for which Iginla’s contract from last season is largely responsible.
Turning 37 on July 1, Iginla is still in search of his first Stanley Cup. The winger scored 30 times in 2013-14, then added five more goals in the playoffs. If he can’t get something done with the Bruins, he will have suitors.
But Iginla wants to be back in Boston, which is still very much a contender despite this year’s disappointing playoff exit.
“It’s a great group and I hope to be able to come back and I know it’s something that I hope that works and there’s a deal there for everyone,” he said. “But I know the Bruins need to look at what they want to do and whatever, but yeah, I really enjoyed it and hope there’s something worked out there because I also think it’s a team that has a good of a shot as any to win and I think that next year the team can have that.”
If it’s not Boston, it will have to be a team with a shot to win the Cup for Iginla to sign on. The complicating factor is all the other impact players whose futures are up in the air. Jason Spezza, Ryan Kesler, Joe Thornton, and Patrick Marleau could all be moved this summer, and they all have control of where they go. They’ll want to go to winners, too. Like Iginla, each of those four is still looking for his first Cup.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (74)