Jun 20, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Earlier in the month, it was reported that Iginla and the Boston Bruins were talking contract extension. But obviously, nothing has been agreed upon yet. The B’s have a tight cap situation, made tighter by a significant bonus overage, for which Iginla’s contract from last season is largely responsible.
Turning 37 on July 1, Iginla is still in search of his first Stanley Cup. The winger scored 30 times in 2013-14, then added five more goals in the playoffs. If he can’t get something done with the Bruins, he will have suitors.
But Iginla wants to be back in Boston, which is still very much a contender despite this year’s disappointing playoff exit.
“It’s a great group and I hope to be able to come back and I know it’s something that I hope that works and there’s a deal there for everyone,” he said. “But I know the Bruins need to look at what they want to do and whatever, but yeah, I really enjoyed it and hope there’s something worked out there because I also think it’s a team that has a good of a shot as any to win and I think that next year the team can have that.”
If it’s not Boston, it will have to be a team with a shot to win the Cup for Iginla to sign on. The complicating factor is all the other impact players whose futures are up in the air. Jason Spezza, Ryan Kesler, Joe Thornton, and Patrick Marleau could all be moved this summer, and they all have control of where they go. They’ll want to go to winners, too. Like Iginla, each of those four is still looking for his first Cup.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)