Jun 20, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Earlier in the month, it was reported that Iginla and the Boston Bruins were talking contract extension. But obviously, nothing has been agreed upon yet. The B’s have a tight cap situation, made tighter by a significant bonus overage, for which Iginla’s contract from last season is largely responsible.
Turning 37 on July 1, Iginla is still in search of his first Stanley Cup. The winger scored 30 times in 2013-14, then added five more goals in the playoffs. If he can’t get something done with the Bruins, he will have suitors.
But Iginla wants to be back in Boston, which is still very much a contender despite this year’s disappointing playoff exit.
“It’s a great group and I hope to be able to come back and I know it’s something that I hope that works and there’s a deal there for everyone,” he said. “But I know the Bruins need to look at what they want to do and whatever, but yeah, I really enjoyed it and hope there’s something worked out there because I also think it’s a team that has a good of a shot as any to win and I think that next year the team can have that.”
If it’s not Boston, it will have to be a team with a shot to win the Cup for Iginla to sign on. The complicating factor is all the other impact players whose futures are up in the air. Jason Spezza, Ryan Kesler, Joe Thornton, and Patrick Marleau could all be moved this summer, and they all have control of where they go. They’ll want to go to winners, too. Like Iginla, each of those four is still looking for his first Cup.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)