Jun 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Give San Jose credit — the organization is sticking to its word.
Following GM Doug Wilson’s assertion that this year’s playoff collapse shouldn’t affect the Sharks’ front office and coaching staff, the club has re-upped with AHL Worcester’s Roy Sommer — the league’s longest-tenured bench boss and all-time leader in games coached.
“The San Jose Sharks pride themselves in developing players within our organization and Roy has been an integral part of that success,” San Jose assistant GM Joe Will said in a statement. “I am looking forward to work closely with Roy and his staff next season in Worcester with a primary goal of winning the Calder Cup.”
So, a quick overview of what San Jose’s done this summer:
– Retained the services of both Wilson and head coach Todd McLellan.
– Extended associate coach Larry Robinson and promoted him to director of player development.
– Re-signed Will, despite the fact he had “several opportunities” with other NHL clubs.
– Re-upped with Sommer.
As such, it seems changes in San Jose will be entirely to the on-ice product. The team has already traded away the rights to longtime defenseman Dan Boyle and said it would part ways with Martin Havlat; CSN Bay Area floated the idea of a possible buyout for Adam Burish; both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have been identified as potential trade targets and Alex Stalock was re-signed with the intention of challenging Antti Niemi for the No. 1 goaltending gig.
Also, Wilson announced that Brent Burns would be returning to play defense after skating this season as a forward.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)