Jun 20, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Nothing signed yet, but Willie Desjardins will be in VAN this weekend. Assuming all goes as expected, he'll be introduced as coach next wk.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) June 20, 2014
Which just so happens to coincide with this report from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
The Penguins did not get their guy.
“The guy I had is going to go in a different direction,” general manager Jim Rutherford said Friday afternoon.
So yes, it sure sounds like Willie Desjardins picked the Vancouver Canucks over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Why? Well, that’s not clear. The Pens have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, yes. But they’re far from perfect, as evidenced by their recent playoff performances. Also, maybe the Canucks offered more money and term. Maybe Desjardins, a Saskatchewan native, liked the idea of coaching in Western Canada. And maybe he liked the idea of working with Vancouver’s new president of hockey ops, Trevor Linden, a former star with the Medicine Hat Tigers, the WHL team Desjardins coached from 2002-10.
At any rate, Desjardins, a coach who likes to “move the puck and attack,” would seem to be a fit with the Canucks, a team whose new general manager, Jim Benning, has said he wants to “play an up-tempo, fast-skating, skilled game.”
Earlier today, Linden went on the radio in Vancouver and said he’s looking for a coach “who can recapture our people who were so off last year” under John Tortorella.
Meanwhile, Rutherford will “take the weekend to sort some things out.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)