Jun 20, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Which just so happens to coincide with this report from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
The Penguins did not get their guy.
“The guy I had is going to go in a different direction,” general manager Jim Rutherford said Friday afternoon.
So yes, it sure sounds like Willie Desjardins picked the Vancouver Canucks over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Why? Well, that’s not clear. The Pens have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, yes. But they’re far from perfect, as evidenced by their recent playoff performances. Also, maybe the Canucks offered more money and term. Maybe Desjardins, a Saskatchewan native, liked the idea of coaching in Western Canada. And maybe he liked the idea of working with Vancouver’s new president of hockey ops, Trevor Linden, a former star with the Medicine Hat Tigers, the WHL team Desjardins coached from 2002-10.
At any rate, Desjardins, a coach who likes to “move the puck and attack,” would seem to be a fit with the Canucks, a team whose new general manager, Jim Benning, has said he wants to “play an up-tempo, fast-skating, skilled game.”
Earlier today, Linden went on the radio in Vancouver and said he’s looking for a coach “who can recapture our people who were so off last year” under John Tortorella.
Meanwhile, Rutherford will “take the weekend to sort some things out.”
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)