Jun 20, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Which just so happens to coincide with this report from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
The Penguins did not get their guy.
“The guy I had is going to go in a different direction,” general manager Jim Rutherford said Friday afternoon.
So yes, it sure sounds like Willie Desjardins picked the Vancouver Canucks over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Why? Well, that’s not clear. The Pens have Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, yes. But they’re far from perfect, as evidenced by their recent playoff performances. Also, maybe the Canucks offered more money and term. Maybe Desjardins, a Saskatchewan native, liked the idea of coaching in Western Canada. And maybe he liked the idea of working with Vancouver’s new president of hockey ops, Trevor Linden, a former star with the Medicine Hat Tigers, the WHL team Desjardins coached from 2002-10.
At any rate, Desjardins, a coach who likes to “move the puck and attack,” would seem to be a fit with the Canucks, a team whose new general manager, Jim Benning, has said he wants to “play an up-tempo, fast-skating, skilled game.”
Earlier today, Linden went on the radio in Vancouver and said he’s looking for a coach “who can recapture our people who were so off last year” under John Tortorella.
Meanwhile, Rutherford will “take the weekend to sort some things out.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)