Jun 20, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Less than a week after Oilers GM Craig MacTavish spoke about his desire to upgrade the team’s defense, he might have taken his first step in that direction by gaining permission to negotiate with the Columbus Blue Jackets’ Nikita Nikitin, per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
If the Oilers and Nikitin can reach an understanding, then the next step would be for Edmonton to acquire his rights so that he can be signed.
Nikitin, who turned 28 on Monday, had two goals, 15 points, and 72 blocked shots in a career-high 66 games last season. He’s dealt with a variety of ailments over the past three years, but he did average over 20 minutes per game in the shortened 2013 campaign and 2011-12 when he was healthy. Last season he logged just 17:06 minutes per contest as he found himself outside of the Blue Jackets’ top-four given the presence of Jack Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin, and rookie Ryan Murray.
If Nikitin doesn’t sign with the Oilers, then he will be eligible to test the unrestricted free agent market for the first time in his career. He’s coming off of a two-year, $4.3 million deal.
Nikita Nikitin two seasons ago played 43% of his team's PP time and 49% of PK time. Last season, 14% and 13%. http://t.co/5yFGQvARnG
— Extra Skater (@ExtraSkater) June 20, 2014
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)