Jun 20, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
After three years as the No. 1 on Long Island, Evgeni Nabokov appears primed to move on.
The Islanders and the Russian netminder are reportedly unable to reach an agreement on a new deal, according to multiple sources. The news comes just weeks after GM Garth Snow acquired and signed Jaroslav Halak to be the team’s new starting netminder — yesterday, Newsday reported Nabokov and the Isles “are not close” to a deal that would see the Russian netminder return as Halak’s backup next season.
Also yesterday, Snow (along with director of player development Eric Cairns and franchise legend Mike Bossy) met with season ticket holders about plans for the upcoming campaign. While the session wasn’t made available to the media, one attendee tweeted some of the meeting highlights, including Snow’s remark that the Isles offered Nabokov a one-year pact, which he rejected.
This leaves New York with a precarious situation in goal. Anders Nilsson, who made 19 appearances for the Isles last season, has signed with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL and Kevin Poulin, who played 28 games last year, is a pending RFA — meaning that, as things currently stand, there are no goalies under contract for next season aside from Halak.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)