Jun 20, 2014, 2:26 PM EST
After three years as the No. 1 on Long Island, Evgeni Nabokov appears primed to move on.
The Islanders and the Russian netminder are reportedly unable to reach an agreement on a new deal, according to multiple sources. The news comes just weeks after GM Garth Snow acquired and signed Jaroslav Halak to be the team’s new starting netminder — yesterday, Newsday reported Nabokov and the Isles “are not close” to a deal that would see the Russian netminder return as Halak’s backup next season.
Also yesterday, Snow (along with director of player development Eric Cairns and franchise legend Mike Bossy) met with season ticket holders about plans for the upcoming campaign. While the session wasn’t made available to the media, one attendee tweeted some of the meeting highlights, including Snow’s remark that the Isles offered Nabokov a one-year pact, which he rejected.
This leaves New York with a precarious situation in goal. Anders Nilsson, who made 19 appearances for the Isles last season, has signed with Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL and Kevin Poulin, who played 28 games last year, is a pending RFA — meaning that, as things currently stand, there are no goalies under contract for next season aside from Halak.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 3
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)