Jun 20, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Big day for the Hurricanes on the hockey ops side of things.
In addition to formally introducing Bill Peters as their new head coach, the ‘Canes announced that former Edmonton Oilers assistant GM Rick Olczyk would be joining the club in the same capacity, serving under new GM Ron Francis.
“Ricky brings a wealth of experience to the Hurricanes,” Francis said in a statement. “His legal expertise with the Collective Bargaining Agreement and other areas of hockey operations will be a great asset to our management team.”
More, from the release:
Olczyk, 44, comes to Carolina after six seasons as assistant general manager with the Edmonton Oilers. The Chicago, IL, native joined the Oilers’ hockey operations staff in 2007 as director of hockey administration and legal affairs and was Edmonton’s liaison to the NHL regarding all matters pertaining to the CBA.
Prior to joining the Oilers, Olczyk ran his own legal consulting firm in Chicago for six years, representing players and advising families on academic and professional goals.
The younger brother of NHL on NBC analyst Ed Olczyk, Rick served Edmonton in a number of capacities but paid special attention to scouting U.S. collegiate free agents — which makes sense, given he played four years of NCAA hockey at Brown University, where he served as captain in his senior year and was a teammate of ex-NHLer Todd Simpson.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)