Jun 20, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
Big day for the Hurricanes on the hockey ops side of things.
In addition to formally introducing Bill Peters as their new head coach, the ‘Canes announced that former Edmonton Oilers assistant GM Rick Olczyk would be joining the club in the same capacity, serving under new GM Ron Francis.
“Ricky brings a wealth of experience to the Hurricanes,” Francis said in a statement. “His legal expertise with the Collective Bargaining Agreement and other areas of hockey operations will be a great asset to our management team.”
More, from the release:
Olczyk, 44, comes to Carolina after six seasons as assistant general manager with the Edmonton Oilers. The Chicago, IL, native joined the Oilers’ hockey operations staff in 2007 as director of hockey administration and legal affairs and was Edmonton’s liaison to the NHL regarding all matters pertaining to the CBA.
Prior to joining the Oilers, Olczyk ran his own legal consulting firm in Chicago for six years, representing players and advising families on academic and professional goals.
The younger brother of NHL on NBC analyst Ed Olczyk, Rick served Edmonton in a number of capacities but paid special attention to scouting U.S. collegiate free agents — which makes sense, given he played four years of NCAA hockey at Brown University, where he served as captain in his senior year and was a teammate of ex-NHLer Todd Simpson.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)