Jun 20, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Brad Richards might feel like he’s floundering without a home after being bought out by the New York Rangers on Friday. Perhaps he’d find comfort in returning to a familiar place, though?
His agent told the Tampa Bay Times’ Joe Smith that that Richards would “certainly respond positively to interest from Tampa.” Smith follows that revelation with a worthy point: it’s unclear if the 34-year-old would fit in well with the Lightning.
That being said, Rangers GM Glen Sather raved about Richards’ work with the team’s younger players, so maybe the experienced forward would impact the likes of Ondrej Palat, Jonathan Drouin, Tyler Johnson and even Steven Stamkos in a positive way?
Perhaps the Lightning would ponder such a thought if Richards is willing to take a one or two-year deal, particularly if they cannot retain Ryan Callahan. The hypothetical situations only get more fun (if far-fetched) when you consider that his former Lightning teammate Dan Boyle is also looking for a deal. Maybe we’d see those two reunited after all these years? (Both were priced out of Tampa Bay during/after the 2007-08 season.)
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman might not want to go in that direction with such a talented young core of players, although the two veterans could conceivably be useful at the right price and (most importantly) the right term.
If nothing else, it’s an entertaining thought.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)