Jun 20, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Brad Richards might feel like he’s floundering without a home after being bought out by the New York Rangers on Friday. Perhaps he’d find comfort in returning to a familiar place, though?
His agent told the Tampa Bay Times’ Joe Smith that that Richards would “certainly respond positively to interest from Tampa.” Smith follows that revelation with a worthy point: it’s unclear if the 34-year-old would fit in well with the Lightning.
That being said, Rangers GM Glen Sather raved about Richards’ work with the team’s younger players, so maybe the experienced forward would impact the likes of Ondrej Palat, Jonathan Drouin, Tyler Johnson and even Steven Stamkos in a positive way?
Perhaps the Lightning would ponder such a thought if Richards is willing to take a one or two-year deal, particularly if they cannot retain Ryan Callahan. The hypothetical situations only get more fun (if far-fetched) when you consider that his former Lightning teammate Dan Boyle is also looking for a deal. Maybe we’d see those two reunited after all these years? (Both were priced out of Tampa Bay during/after the 2007-08 season.)
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman might not want to go in that direction with such a talented young core of players, although the two veterans could conceivably be useful at the right price and (most importantly) the right term.
If nothing else, it’s an entertaining thought.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)