Jun 20, 2014, 11:40 PM EST
Brad Richards might feel like he’s floundering without a home after being bought out by the New York Rangers on Friday. Perhaps he’d find comfort in returning to a familiar place, though?
His agent told the Tampa Bay Times’ Joe Smith that that Richards would “certainly respond positively to interest from Tampa.” Smith follows that revelation with a worthy point: it’s unclear if the 34-year-old would fit in well with the Lightning.
That being said, Rangers GM Glen Sather raved about Richards’ work with the team’s younger players, so maybe the experienced forward would impact the likes of Ondrej Palat, Jonathan Drouin, Tyler Johnson and even Steven Stamkos in a positive way?
Perhaps the Lightning would ponder such a thought if Richards is willing to take a one or two-year deal, particularly if they cannot retain Ryan Callahan. The hypothetical situations only get more fun (if far-fetched) when you consider that his former Lightning teammate Dan Boyle is also looking for a deal. Maybe we’d see those two reunited after all these years? (Both were priced out of Tampa Bay during/after the 2007-08 season.)
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman might not want to go in that direction with such a talented young core of players, although the two veterans could conceivably be useful at the right price and (most importantly) the right term.
If nothing else, it’s an entertaining thought.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)