Jun 20, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
Brad Richards might feel like he’s floundering without a home after being bought out by the New York Rangers on Friday. Perhaps he’d find comfort in returning to a familiar place, though?
His agent told the Tampa Bay Times’ Joe Smith that that Richards would “certainly respond positively to interest from Tampa.” Smith follows that revelation with a worthy point: it’s unclear if the 34-year-old would fit in well with the Lightning.
That being said, Rangers GM Glen Sather raved about Richards’ work with the team’s younger players, so maybe the experienced forward would impact the likes of Ondrej Palat, Jonathan Drouin, Tyler Johnson and even Steven Stamkos in a positive way?
Perhaps the Lightning would ponder such a thought if Richards is willing to take a one or two-year deal, particularly if they cannot retain Ryan Callahan. The hypothetical situations only get more fun (if far-fetched) when you consider that his former Lightning teammate Dan Boyle is also looking for a deal. Maybe we’d see those two reunited after all these years? (Both were priced out of Tampa Bay during/after the 2007-08 season.)
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman might not want to go in that direction with such a talented young core of players, although the two veterans could conceivably be useful at the right price and (most importantly) the right term.
If nothing else, it’s an entertaining thought.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)