Jun 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres will pick second overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft on June 27 but, to hear GM Tim Murray explain it, that isn’t the only time Buffalo wants to be at the podium on opening night.
The Sabres are looking to acquire another first-round pick, Murray said on Thursday.
“I have been trying hard to do that,” he said. “The people I’ve talked to haven’t said no, but nobody’s called back and said ‘yeah, let’s do this deal.’
“I’ve got a lot of potential deals out there that have a first [round pick] coming back, where it’s in the 20s or the teens.”
This shouldn’t come as much of a surprise — earlier, reports surfaced that Murray would take on a team’s onerous contract and use a compliance buyout in exchange for a first-rounder — and, per Buffalo’s WGR 550, it seems the organizational blueprint is to rebuild the club through two drafts, hence the desire to add picks:
Murray maintained that it’s going to take two drafts to build this team. He admitted they are not a Stanley Cup team this year so the draft has to be the focus.
Murray thinks he may be able to acquire another 2014 first round pick. He said getting a 2015 first rounder will be much harder. In his discussions with other teams, 2014 first round picks are available.
Murray knows he has to get to the salary cap floor so he’s not afraid of taking contracts on from other teams if he can get what he wants at the top end of the deal. It’s just absorbing a contract that another team can’t.
It’ll be interesting to see how (or, if) Murray will be able to get into the first round again. Aside from taking back a bad contract, he could package some of his other picks — in addition to the No. 2 overall selection, the Sabres hold the No. 31, No. 39, No. 49 and No. 61 picks.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)