Jun 19, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres need to spend around $18 million to get to the cap floor. But general manager Tim Murray isn’t worried about it. And, frankly, he’s getting a little tired of talking about it.
“I hear about it all the time. It’s just a distraction,” Murray said today, per the Buffalo News. “You get in the middle of a meeting, and then somebody walks in the door and talks about the floor. It’s easy to spend money. I don’t like spending money, but it’s easy to spend money. … People want your money, so it’s not hard to give away. It’s just, are the right players, or the guys we like, are they going to approach us to take our money?”
The challenge for the Sabres, of course, will be spending money wisely. After all, it’s not like Buffalo, by far the NHL’s worst team in 2013-14, is at the top of most free agents’ preferred-destinations list.
But, again, Murray isn’t worried.
“I think there are players that are playing for other teams that may want to be moved,” he said. “I think there are players that are hitting free agency at 27 or 28 years old that are late bloomers that feel they haven’t gotten a proper chance where they’ve been.
“I mean, what’s attractive to some players may not be attractive to other players. I think we’re attractive to a certain type of player, and I don’t think they all necessarily have to be bad players. I think they can be guys that need an opportunity, that certainly see opportunity here.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)