Jun 19, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres need to spend around $18 million to get to the cap floor. But general manager Tim Murray isn’t worried about it. And, frankly, he’s getting a little tired of talking about it.
“I hear about it all the time. It’s just a distraction,” Murray said today, per the Buffalo News. “You get in the middle of a meeting, and then somebody walks in the door and talks about the floor. It’s easy to spend money. I don’t like spending money, but it’s easy to spend money. … People want your money, so it’s not hard to give away. It’s just, are the right players, or the guys we like, are they going to approach us to take our money?”
The challenge for the Sabres, of course, will be spending money wisely. After all, it’s not like Buffalo, by far the NHL’s worst team in 2013-14, is at the top of most free agents’ preferred-destinations list.
But, again, Murray isn’t worried.
“I think there are players that are playing for other teams that may want to be moved,” he said. “I think there are players that are hitting free agency at 27 or 28 years old that are late bloomers that feel they haven’t gotten a proper chance where they’ve been.
“I mean, what’s attractive to some players may not be attractive to other players. I think we’re attractive to a certain type of player, and I don’t think they all necessarily have to be bad players. I think they can be guys that need an opportunity, that certainly see opportunity here.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)