Jun 19, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres need to spend around $18 million to get to the cap floor. But general manager Tim Murray isn’t worried about it. And, frankly, he’s getting a little tired of talking about it.
“I hear about it all the time. It’s just a distraction,” Murray said today, per the Buffalo News. “You get in the middle of a meeting, and then somebody walks in the door and talks about the floor. It’s easy to spend money. I don’t like spending money, but it’s easy to spend money. … People want your money, so it’s not hard to give away. It’s just, are the right players, or the guys we like, are they going to approach us to take our money?”
The challenge for the Sabres, of course, will be spending money wisely. After all, it’s not like Buffalo, by far the NHL’s worst team in 2013-14, is at the top of most free agents’ preferred-destinations list.
But, again, Murray isn’t worried.
“I think there are players that are playing for other teams that may want to be moved,” he said. “I think there are players that are hitting free agency at 27 or 28 years old that are late bloomers that feel they haven’t gotten a proper chance where they’ve been.
“I mean, what’s attractive to some players may not be attractive to other players. I think we’re attractive to a certain type of player, and I don’t think they all necessarily have to be bad players. I think they can be guys that need an opportunity, that certainly see opportunity here.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)