Jun 19, 2014, 6:01 PM EST
Holland notes that it might be a few days before an official announcement will be made as the 29-year-old makes his way back to Sweden.
Multiple sources indicate that he’ll generate close to the $1.5 million salary cap hit he received the past two seasons in Detroit. The Detroit Free Press indicates that Gustavsson was seeking a two-year deal much like his previous contract, yet he settled for what the term the Red Wings felt comfortable with.
“The Monster” enjoyed the most successful season of his five-year NHL career in 2013-14. While his .907 save percentage lagged behind that of Petr Mrazek (.927) and Jimmy Howard (.910), Gustavsson managed a 16-5-4 record in 27 games played. For all the talk about luck, it’s not as if he looks bad in every individual light; Gustavsson’s even-strength save percentage (.915) was nearly identical to Mrazek’s (.914) and Howard’s (.919).
Mrazek, 22, seems like he has a strong chance to be in Detroit’s long-term plans as either a backup or an eventual threat to their 30-year-old franchise guy Howard. Gustavsson likely serves as a stopgap/insurance policy, which prompted some criticism from Red Wings blog Winging it in Motown:
Personally, I don’t see this move as being most-beneficial. I think the Wings would be better served to have Petr Mrazek backing up/challenging Jimmy Howard next season full time. I’m glad that it’s only one year for Gustavsson, but it’s one year where he’s going to be chewing up more cap space than Mrazek by $1M or more. It’s also important to note that Petr Mrazek is set to be a restricted free agent next summer.
Then again, considering the fact that Howard was limited to 51 regular season appearances in 2013-14, there’s always the chance that both Mrazek and Gustavsson will get some reps next season … even if that’s not really the ideal scenario for Detroit.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
- In praise of the Hamburglar 0
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)