Jun 19, 2014, 6:01 PM EST
Holland notes that it might be a few days before an official announcement will be made as the 29-year-old makes his way back to Sweden.
Multiple sources indicate that he’ll generate close to the $1.5 million salary cap hit he received the past two seasons in Detroit. The Detroit Free Press indicates that Gustavsson was seeking a two-year deal much like his previous contract, yet he settled for what the term the Red Wings felt comfortable with.
“The Monster” enjoyed the most successful season of his five-year NHL career in 2013-14. While his .907 save percentage lagged behind that of Petr Mrazek (.927) and Jimmy Howard (.910), Gustavsson managed a 16-5-4 record in 27 games played. For all the talk about luck, it’s not as if he looks bad in every individual light; Gustavsson’s even-strength save percentage (.915) was nearly identical to Mrazek’s (.914) and Howard’s (.919).
Mrazek, 22, seems like he has a strong chance to be in Detroit’s long-term plans as either a backup or an eventual threat to their 30-year-old franchise guy Howard. Gustavsson likely serves as a stopgap/insurance policy, which prompted some criticism from Red Wings blog Winging it in Motown:
Personally, I don’t see this move as being most-beneficial. I think the Wings would be better served to have Petr Mrazek backing up/challenging Jimmy Howard next season full time. I’m glad that it’s only one year for Gustavsson, but it’s one year where he’s going to be chewing up more cap space than Mrazek by $1M or more. It’s also important to note that Petr Mrazek is set to be a restricted free agent next summer.
Then again, considering the fact that Howard was limited to 51 regular season appearances in 2013-14, there’s always the chance that both Mrazek and Gustavsson will get some reps next season … even if that’s not really the ideal scenario for Detroit.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Was a healthy scratch in nine games.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Appeared to take the shot off his left knee. Will not return.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Center had a career-high 18 goals and 39 points last year.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:59 AM EST
Not listed: glorious gluttony.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)