Jun 19, 2014, 6:01 PM EST
Holland notes that it might be a few days before an official announcement will be made as the 29-year-old makes his way back to Sweden.
Multiple sources indicate that he’ll generate close to the $1.5 million salary cap hit he received the past two seasons in Detroit. The Detroit Free Press indicates that Gustavsson was seeking a two-year deal much like his previous contract, yet he settled for what the term the Red Wings felt comfortable with.
“The Monster” enjoyed the most successful season of his five-year NHL career in 2013-14. While his .907 save percentage lagged behind that of Petr Mrazek (.927) and Jimmy Howard (.910), Gustavsson managed a 16-5-4 record in 27 games played. For all the talk about luck, it’s not as if he looks bad in every individual light; Gustavsson’s even-strength save percentage (.915) was nearly identical to Mrazek’s (.914) and Howard’s (.919).
Mrazek, 22, seems like he has a strong chance to be in Detroit’s long-term plans as either a backup or an eventual threat to their 30-year-old franchise guy Howard. Gustavsson likely serves as a stopgap/insurance policy, which prompted some criticism from Red Wings blog Winging it in Motown:
Personally, I don’t see this move as being most-beneficial. I think the Wings would be better served to have Petr Mrazek backing up/challenging Jimmy Howard next season full time. I’m glad that it’s only one year for Gustavsson, but it’s one year where he’s going to be chewing up more cap space than Mrazek by $1M or more. It’s also important to note that Petr Mrazek is set to be a restricted free agent next summer.
Then again, considering the fact that Howard was limited to 51 regular season appearances in 2013-14, there’s always the chance that both Mrazek and Gustavsson will get some reps next season … even if that’s not really the ideal scenario for Detroit.
(H/T to Rotoworld.)
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)