Jun 19, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
New Philadelphia Flyers assistant coach Gord Murphy has seen his fair share of action as a player and an assistant and he likes what he’s getting into with his latest venture.
Murphy spoke with the press after the team announced they’d brought him on to help Craig Berube behind the bench and had glowing things to say about the Flyers lineup as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“They play a fast, strong brand of hockey,” Murphy said. “They’re very competitive. I don’t personally see many weaknesses in the club. They were as good as any team the last three or four months of the season. The run they went on just show the depth and the ability of that team.”
The Flyers could score with anyone last season, but one area that could’ve used some work was on defense. Fortunately for Philly, that’s just what Murphy is there to help out with.
Now it’ll be up to Murphy to help make sure the lapses on the back end don’t take away from the job Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell and others are doing. Steve Mason won’t say “no” to a little extra help defensively either.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)