Jun 19, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
New Philadelphia Flyers assistant coach Gord Murphy has seen his fair share of action as a player and an assistant and he likes what he’s getting into with his latest venture.
Murphy spoke with the press after the team announced they’d brought him on to help Craig Berube behind the bench and had glowing things to say about the Flyers lineup as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“They play a fast, strong brand of hockey,” Murphy said. “They’re very competitive. I don’t personally see many weaknesses in the club. They were as good as any team the last three or four months of the season. The run they went on just show the depth and the ability of that team.”
The Flyers could score with anyone last season, but one area that could’ve used some work was on defense. Fortunately for Philly, that’s just what Murphy is there to help out with.
Now it’ll be up to Murphy to help make sure the lapses on the back end don’t take away from the job Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell and others are doing. Steve Mason won’t say “no” to a little extra help defensively either.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)