Jun 19, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
New Philadelphia Flyers assistant coach Gord Murphy has seen his fair share of action as a player and an assistant and he likes what he’s getting into with his latest venture.
Murphy spoke with the press after the team announced they’d brought him on to help Craig Berube behind the bench and had glowing things to say about the Flyers lineup as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“They play a fast, strong brand of hockey,” Murphy said. “They’re very competitive. I don’t personally see many weaknesses in the club. They were as good as any team the last three or four months of the season. The run they went on just show the depth and the ability of that team.”
The Flyers could score with anyone last season, but one area that could’ve used some work was on defense. Fortunately for Philly, that’s just what Murphy is there to help out with.
Now it’ll be up to Murphy to help make sure the lapses on the back end don’t take away from the job Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell and others are doing. Steve Mason won’t say “no” to a little extra help defensively either.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)