Jun 19, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
New Philadelphia Flyers assistant coach Gord Murphy has seen his fair share of action as a player and an assistant and he likes what he’s getting into with his latest venture.
Murphy spoke with the press after the team announced they’d brought him on to help Craig Berube behind the bench and had glowing things to say about the Flyers lineup as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“They play a fast, strong brand of hockey,” Murphy said. “They’re very competitive. I don’t personally see many weaknesses in the club. They were as good as any team the last three or four months of the season. The run they went on just show the depth and the ability of that team.”
The Flyers could score with anyone last season, but one area that could’ve used some work was on defense. Fortunately for Philly, that’s just what Murphy is there to help out with.
Now it’ll be up to Murphy to help make sure the lapses on the back end don’t take away from the job Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell and others are doing. Steve Mason won’t say “no” to a little extra help defensively either.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 5
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (57)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)