Jun 19, 2014, 10:05 AM EST
New Philadelphia Flyers assistant coach Gord Murphy has seen his fair share of action as a player and an assistant and he likes what he’s getting into with his latest venture.
Murphy spoke with the press after the team announced they’d brought him on to help Craig Berube behind the bench and had glowing things to say about the Flyers lineup as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“They play a fast, strong brand of hockey,” Murphy said. “They’re very competitive. I don’t personally see many weaknesses in the club. They were as good as any team the last three or four months of the season. The run they went on just show the depth and the ability of that team.”
The Flyers could score with anyone last season, but one area that could’ve used some work was on defense. Fortunately for Philly, that’s just what Murphy is there to help out with.
Now it’ll be up to Murphy to help make sure the lapses on the back end don’t take away from the job Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds, Scott Hartnell and others are doing. Steve Mason won’t say “no” to a little extra help defensively either.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (103)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)