Jun 19, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes named Bill Peters their new head coach on Thursday.
Peters, 48, was an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings for the past three seasons. (He’s pictured to the left of Mike Babcock in this main image.)
This is Peters’ first NHL head coaching gig.
The Canes point out that Peters handled Detroit’s defensemen and penalty kill. The Red Wings’ penalty kill came in 12th in the NHL percentage-wise at 83.0 and Detroit enjoyed solid puck possession in 2013-14, so he’s been fairly successful in that regard. It’s just as likely that new GM Ron Francis & Co. targeted Peters because of his experience in the Red Wings organization in general, though, really.
Here’s a little more information about Peters, the 13th coach of the Hurricanes/Hartford Whalers and the fourth bench boss since the team moved to Carolina:
Peters, 48, has served as assistant coach for the Detroit Red Wings for the past three seasons, working primarily with Detroit’s defensemen and penalty kill units. Prior to joining Detroit’s staff, Peters served as head coach of Rockford of the American Hockey League (AHL), guiding the Ice Hogs to consecutive 40-win seasons and Calder Cup playoff appearances in 2008-09 and 2009-10. In his final season with Rockford in 2010-11, Peters directed the second-youngest team in the AHL to a 38-33-4-5 record. The Three Hills, Alb., native helped 28 Rockford players reach the NHL during his three seasons. Eight players who played under Peters for Rockford went on to win the Stanley Cup with Chicago in 2010 or 2013 – Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jordan Henry, Antti Niemi, Corey Crawford, Bryan Bickell, Nick Leddy, Brandon Bollig and Ben Smith.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)