Jun 19, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
The closer we get to the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the more we’re hearing of teams wanting a piece of the action.
On Thursday, another club threw its hat into the ring as Montreal GM Marc Bergevin said he’s looking to trade up from the No. 26 spot, per TVA.
Bergevin does have a history of being busy on draft day. In 2012 — his first draft as Habs GM — he took Alex Galchenyuk with the third overall selection and had three more picks in the top 65, thanks to a myriad of trades made before he came on board.
Last year, Bergevin had four picks in the top 55 and used his first-round selection to take OHL London forward Mike McCarron.
The Habs don’t have much in the way of high-end selections this year. Their second rounder, 57th overall, went to the Islanders as part of the Thomas Vanek deal; with that pick gone, Montreal currently has a 61-spot gap between its first and third-round picks.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)