Jun 19, 2014, 2:28 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks are moving on from three veteran presences.
On Thursday, GM Bob Murray said the club wouldn’t extend offers to pending UFAs Saku Koivu, Jonas Hiller and Daniel Winnik, per the O.C. Register. The moves aren’t entirely surprising given Anaheim’s wealth of young prospects on the horizon, but still represent a significant shift in the club’s identity.
Koivu, 39, has been with the team for the last five seasons and has served as the Ducks’ alternate captain since signing in 2009. Despite missing significant time last year with a concussion, Koivu still put up a respectable 11 goals and 29 points in 65 games while averaging over 15 minutes a night… that said, he struggled in the playoffs and went goalless with just one assist, and saw his ice time dip to 12:44.
Cutting ties with Hiller, 32, isn’t surprising at all. The writing was on the wall late in the regular season when Bruce Boudreau played both Frederik Andersen and John Gibson down the stretch, and was further etched when Boudreau turned to Gibson, not Hiller, after Andersen was hurt in the second-round defeat to Los Angeles. The Swiss netminder, who has spent all six of his NHL seasons in Anaheim, sits third all time among Ducks goalies in games played (326), wins (162) and shutouts (21).
As for where Hiller might end up?
Hiller’s agent told me that he has talked to his client about Vancouver. Could be good fit.
— News1130 Sports (@News1130Sports) June 19, 2014
Winnik, 29, is an interesting case. He scored a career-high 30 points last season — while making a tidy $1.8 million — and at times proved to be a useful, big-body forward (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) in his two seasons with the Ducks. The former Coyote, Shark and Avalanche did fall out of favor in the postseason, though, sitting as a healthy scratch on a number of occasions while recording just one assist in nine games.
As mentioned above, Anaheim does have a ton of young forward talent waiting in the wings. Devante Smith-Pelly, Rickard Rakell and Emerson Etem were all knocking at the door last season, and the club still has the likes of William Karlsson (53rd overall, 2011) and Nicolas Kerdiles (36th overall, 2012) in the mix.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
“For us, and our group, it was something that we decided. I’m not going to discuss what we talk about inside of our room.”
Nov 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EST
The comeback bid is about to end.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
No disrespect to Mike Fisher intended.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
“Your fingers do have a pulse in them and it does hurt.”
Nov 21, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
As part of a rental storage facility scheme.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Bit of a Rockford influence on the roster right now.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
He, along with Jean Beliveau, are the longest-tenured captains in franchise history.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:25 AM EST
Never a dull moment in Toronto.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:21 AM EST
That’s a marginally higher cap hit than Bobby Ryan and David Krejci will get in 2015-16.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:56 AM EST
They’ll talk about it more next week.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:58 AM EST
He’s been great offensively, but he isn’t one of the league’s scoring leaders.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
We also got footage of the Oilers accidentally playing shorthanded.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:30 AM EST
Former Canucks first rounder made his return to Vancouver Thursday.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Philadelphia falls 3-2 to Minnesota.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:10 AM EST
Could’ve tied the game 2-2.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Chicago edged Calgary 4-3.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
Were out-scored 15-4 in two losses.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
Caps win 3-2.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:46 PM EST
Suffered a jaw injury and will not return.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 37
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (42)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)