Jun 19, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the contract is worth $5.9 million overall, with McGinn receiving $2.9 million in 2014-15 and $3 million in 2015-16. There’s no word on how this deal affects their chances of signing O’Reilly and/or Stastny since the Avalanche brass are sticking to a vaguely defined budget.
It was an interesting season for McGinn. The 25-year-old scored 19 goals and 38 points in 79 regular season games before managing five points in Colorado’s seven-game series against the Minnesota Wild.
Solid numbers notwithstanding, McGinn found himself in head coach Patrick Roy’s doghouse in late November and was even reportedly shopped around in December. A lot can change between a player and a team in months, so perhaps McGinn found himself back in Colorado’s good graces.
It certainly seems that way, as the winger is locked up through the 2015-16 season.
He seems excited enough about it (and really excited about the Toronto Blue Jays):
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)