Jun 19, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the contract is worth $5.9 million overall, with McGinn receiving $2.9 million in 2014-15 and $3 million in 2015-16. There’s no word on how this deal affects their chances of signing O’Reilly and/or Stastny since the Avalanche brass are sticking to a vaguely defined budget.
It was an interesting season for McGinn. The 25-year-old scored 19 goals and 38 points in 79 regular season games before managing five points in Colorado’s seven-game series against the Minnesota Wild.
Solid numbers notwithstanding, McGinn found himself in head coach Patrick Roy’s doghouse in late November and was even reportedly shopped around in December. A lot can change between a player and a team in months, so perhaps McGinn found himself back in Colorado’s good graces.
It certainly seems that way, as the winger is locked up through the 2015-16 season.
He seems excited enough about it (and really excited about the Toronto Blue Jays):
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38