Jun 19, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the contract is worth $5.9 million overall, with McGinn receiving $2.9 million in 2014-15 and $3 million in 2015-16. There’s no word on how this deal affects their chances of signing O’Reilly and/or Stastny since the Avalanche brass are sticking to a vaguely defined budget.
It was an interesting season for McGinn. The 25-year-old scored 19 goals and 38 points in 79 regular season games before managing five points in Colorado’s seven-game series against the Minnesota Wild.
Solid numbers notwithstanding, McGinn found himself in head coach Patrick Roy’s doghouse in late November and was even reportedly shopped around in December. A lot can change between a player and a team in months, so perhaps McGinn found himself back in Colorado’s good graces.
It certainly seems that way, as the winger is locked up through the 2015-16 season.
He seems excited enough about it (and really excited about the Toronto Blue Jays):
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)