Jun 19, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the contract is worth $5.9 million overall, with McGinn receiving $2.9 million in 2014-15 and $3 million in 2015-16. There’s no word on how this deal affects their chances of signing O’Reilly and/or Stastny since the Avalanche brass are sticking to a vaguely defined budget.
It was an interesting season for McGinn. The 25-year-old scored 19 goals and 38 points in 79 regular season games before managing five points in Colorado’s seven-game series against the Minnesota Wild.
Solid numbers notwithstanding, McGinn found himself in head coach Patrick Roy’s doghouse in late November and was even reportedly shopped around in December. A lot can change between a player and a team in months, so perhaps McGinn found himself back in Colorado’s good graces.
It certainly seems that way, as the winger is locked up through the 2015-16 season.
He seems excited enough about it (and really excited about the Toronto Blue Jays):
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 0
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 18
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 7
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 55
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (55)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)