Jun 19, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the contract is worth $5.9 million overall, with McGinn receiving $2.9 million in 2014-15 and $3 million in 2015-16. There’s no word on how this deal affects their chances of signing O’Reilly and/or Stastny since the Avalanche brass are sticking to a vaguely defined budget.
It was an interesting season for McGinn. The 25-year-old scored 19 goals and 38 points in 79 regular season games before managing five points in Colorado’s seven-game series against the Minnesota Wild.
Solid numbers notwithstanding, McGinn found himself in head coach Patrick Roy’s doghouse in late November and was even reportedly shopped around in December. A lot can change between a player and a team in months, so perhaps McGinn found himself back in Colorado’s good graces.
It certainly seems that way, as the winger is locked up through the 2015-16 season.
He seems excited enough about it (and really excited about the Toronto Blue Jays):
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)