Jun 18, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Willie Desjardins, who guided the Texas Stars to the AHL championship on Tuesday night, is a target to be interviewed for the Penguins’ vacancy, multiple team and league sources told the Tribune-Review.
We wrote a couple of weeks ago about the potential fit of Desjardins (a.k.a. Whiteboard Willie) in Pittsburgh, where new general manager Jim Rutherford is looking for “a coach that can make the proper adjustments during a game.”
Because you don’t get the nickname Whiteboard Willie without a knack for the X’s and O’s of hockey. (It also helps if your name is Willie.)
Marc Crawford, Ron Wilson and John Hynes are among the other reported candidates to replace Dan Bylsma, who may have a new job of his own shortly, with vacancies in Florida, Vancouver, and Carolina still to be filled.
The Penguins were also said to be interested in interviewing Kings assistant coach John Stevens; however, according to the Tribune-Review, they now “do not believe he intends to pursue one of the NHL’s four coach openings.”
There has been talk that Stevens may eventually take over from head coach Darryl Sutter in Los Angeles.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 13
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)