Jun 18, 2014, 1:54 PM EST
Willie Desjardins, who guided the Texas Stars to the AHL championship on Tuesday night, is a target to be interviewed for the Penguins’ vacancy, multiple team and league sources told the Tribune-Review.
We wrote a couple of weeks ago about the potential fit of Desjardins (a.k.a. Whiteboard Willie) in Pittsburgh, where new general manager Jim Rutherford is looking for “a coach that can make the proper adjustments during a game.”
Because you don’t get the nickname Whiteboard Willie without a knack for the X’s and O’s of hockey. (It also helps if your name is Willie.)
Marc Crawford, Ron Wilson and John Hynes are among the other reported candidates to replace Dan Bylsma, who may have a new job of his own shortly, with vacancies in Florida, Vancouver, and Carolina still to be filled.
The Penguins were also said to be interested in interviewing Kings assistant coach John Stevens; however, according to the Tribune-Review, they now “do not believe he intends to pursue one of the NHL’s four coach openings.”
There has been talk that Stevens may eventually take over from head coach Darryl Sutter in Los Angeles.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)