Jun 18, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Willie Desjardins, who guided the Texas Stars to the AHL championship on Tuesday night, is a target to be interviewed for the Penguins’ vacancy, multiple team and league sources told the Tribune-Review.
We wrote a couple of weeks ago about the potential fit of Desjardins (a.k.a. Whiteboard Willie) in Pittsburgh, where new general manager Jim Rutherford is looking for “a coach that can make the proper adjustments during a game.”
Because you don’t get the nickname Whiteboard Willie without a knack for the X’s and O’s of hockey. (It also helps if your name is Willie.)
Marc Crawford, Ron Wilson and John Hynes are among the other reported candidates to replace Dan Bylsma, who may have a new job of his own shortly, with vacancies in Florida, Vancouver, and Carolina still to be filled.
The Penguins were also said to be interested in interviewing Kings assistant coach John Stevens; however, according to the Tribune-Review, they now “do not believe he intends to pursue one of the NHL’s four coach openings.”
There has been talk that Stevens may eventually take over from head coach Darryl Sutter in Los Angeles.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)