Jun 18, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Willie Desjardins, who guided the Texas Stars to the AHL championship on Tuesday night, is a target to be interviewed for the Penguins’ vacancy, multiple team and league sources told the Tribune-Review.
We wrote a couple of weeks ago about the potential fit of Desjardins (a.k.a. Whiteboard Willie) in Pittsburgh, where new general manager Jim Rutherford is looking for “a coach that can make the proper adjustments during a game.”
Because you don’t get the nickname Whiteboard Willie without a knack for the X’s and O’s of hockey. (It also helps if your name is Willie.)
Marc Crawford, Ron Wilson and John Hynes are among the other reported candidates to replace Dan Bylsma, who may have a new job of his own shortly, with vacancies in Florida, Vancouver, and Carolina still to be filled.
The Penguins were also said to be interested in interviewing Kings assistant coach John Stevens; however, according to the Tribune-Review, they now “do not believe he intends to pursue one of the NHL’s four coach openings.”
There has been talk that Stevens may eventually take over from head coach Darryl Sutter in Los Angeles.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)