Jun 18, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
The number of candidates for the Vancouver Canucks’ head coaching job expanded with the team’s request to speak to Rangers assistant coach Scott Arniel, per Sportsnet.
The fact that the Rangers went all the way to the Stanley Cup Final meant that it wouldn’t have been appropriate for Vancouver to talk to Arniel sooner.
If he does end up getting the job, then the Canucks will be hiring someone they’re already very familiar with. He served as the head coach of the Canucks’ old AHL affiliates, the Manitoba Moose, from 2006-10. He won the AHL’s coach of the year award in 2008-09 for leading the Moose to the best record in the league and the Calder Cup Final.
Arniel was then brought on to serve as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ bench boss, but he was fired after just one and a half seasons, leaving with a 45-60-18 record. After that setback, he went back to Vancouver to serve as the head coach of their new AHL squad, the Chicago Wolves. When fired Canucks coach Alain Vigneault went to the New York Rangers, Arniel agreed to join him as an assistant.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)