Jun 18, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
The number of candidates for the Vancouver Canucks’ head coaching job expanded with the team’s request to speak to Rangers assistant coach Scott Arniel, per Sportsnet.
The fact that the Rangers went all the way to the Stanley Cup Final meant that it wouldn’t have been appropriate for Vancouver to talk to Arniel sooner.
If he does end up getting the job, then the Canucks will be hiring someone they’re already very familiar with. He served as the head coach of the Canucks’ old AHL affiliates, the Manitoba Moose, from 2006-10. He won the AHL’s coach of the year award in 2008-09 for leading the Moose to the best record in the league and the Calder Cup Final.
Arniel was then brought on to serve as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ bench boss, but he was fired after just one and a half seasons, leaving with a 45-60-18 record. After that setback, he went back to Vancouver to serve as the head coach of their new AHL squad, the Chicago Wolves. When fired Canucks coach Alain Vigneault went to the New York Rangers, Arniel agreed to join him as an assistant.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)