Jun 18, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
The number of candidates for the Vancouver Canucks’ head coaching job expanded with the team’s request to speak to Rangers assistant coach Scott Arniel, per Sportsnet.
The fact that the Rangers went all the way to the Stanley Cup Final meant that it wouldn’t have been appropriate for Vancouver to talk to Arniel sooner.
If he does end up getting the job, then the Canucks will be hiring someone they’re already very familiar with. He served as the head coach of the Canucks’ old AHL affiliates, the Manitoba Moose, from 2006-10. He won the AHL’s coach of the year award in 2008-09 for leading the Moose to the best record in the league and the Calder Cup Final.
Arniel was then brought on to serve as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ bench boss, but he was fired after just one and a half seasons, leaving with a 45-60-18 record. After that setback, he went back to Vancouver to serve as the head coach of their new AHL squad, the Chicago Wolves. When fired Canucks coach Alain Vigneault went to the New York Rangers, Arniel agreed to join him as an assistant.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)