Jun 18, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
The number of candidates for the Vancouver Canucks’ head coaching job expanded with the team’s request to speak to Rangers assistant coach Scott Arniel, per Sportsnet.
The fact that the Rangers went all the way to the Stanley Cup Final meant that it wouldn’t have been appropriate for Vancouver to talk to Arniel sooner.
If he does end up getting the job, then the Canucks will be hiring someone they’re already very familiar with. He served as the head coach of the Canucks’ old AHL affiliates, the Manitoba Moose, from 2006-10. He won the AHL’s coach of the year award in 2008-09 for leading the Moose to the best record in the league and the Calder Cup Final.
Arniel was then brought on to serve as the Columbus Blue Jackets’ bench boss, but he was fired after just one and a half seasons, leaving with a 45-60-18 record. After that setback, he went back to Vancouver to serve as the head coach of their new AHL squad, the Chicago Wolves. When fired Canucks coach Alain Vigneault went to the New York Rangers, Arniel agreed to join him as an assistant.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)