Jun 18, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Ben Eager is on his way to Russia.
Eager — a former Flyer, Blackhawk, Thrasher, Shark and Oiler — has reportedly signed a deal to play in the KHL, per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
The 30-year-old, taken 23rd overall at the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, has spent the last three seasons with the Oilers organization, bouncing back and forth between the parent club and its AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City. The latter stages of Eager’s time in Edmonton were marred by a concussion suffered during a fight with Vancouver’s Zack Kassian.
A big, physical player that had disciplinary issues, Eager’s time in the NHL was marred by a Toronto-area bar fight in 2012, which saw him slapped with aggravated assault charges. This came after the Oilers fined him $13,000 for smashing a penalty box video camera, and that came after he was suspended four games fora sucker punch on then-Leafs forward Colby Armstrong in 2011.
Interestingly enough, this marks the fourth Oiler to leave the team for the KHL (though to be clear, Eager was a UFA on July 1 and unlikely to be re-signed). The others include Philip Larsen, Roman Horak and Anton Belov.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 14
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)