Jun 18, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Ben Eager is on his way to Russia.
Eager — a former Flyer, Blackhawk, Thrasher, Shark and Oiler — has reportedly signed a deal to play in the KHL, per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
The 30-year-old, taken 23rd overall at the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, has spent the last three seasons with the Oilers organization, bouncing back and forth between the parent club and its AHL affiliate in Oklahoma City. The latter stages of Eager’s time in Edmonton were marred by a concussion suffered during a fight with Vancouver’s Zack Kassian.
A big, physical player that had disciplinary issues, Eager’s time in the NHL was marred by a Toronto-area bar fight in 2012, which saw him slapped with aggravated assault charges. This came after the Oilers fined him $13,000 for smashing a penalty box video camera, and that came after he was suspended four games fora sucker punch on then-Leafs forward Colby Armstrong in 2011.
Interestingly enough, this marks the fourth Oiler to leave the team for the KHL (though to be clear, Eager was a UFA on July 1 and unlikely to be re-signed). The others include Philip Larsen, Roman Horak and Anton Belov.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)