Jun 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Nearly two years after Calgary Flames prospect Michael Ferland was charged with assault and aggravated assault for an incident that occurred at a bar, he has been found not guilty, per the Calgary Sun.
Ferland argued that he acted in self-defense after he was sucker punched by Jayson Eyma and that started the fight.
“We’re obviously relieved,” Ferland’s defense counsel, Michael Bates, said.
“We had said way back when the charges were laid that we needed to trust in the court system that the truth would come out and so we’re completely relieved, obviously, that that is the result we got today.”
Eyma recently filed a $250,000 lawsuit against Ferland and the Cochrane hotel the incident occurred at.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 0
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 4
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)