Jun 18, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are prepping for the NHL Draft, equipped right now with the fourth overall selection.
So, why not bring in a few of those top prospects – including Sam Bennett, Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart, the top three North American skaters based on NHL Central Scouting’s rankings – who might have their named called by Flames management on June 27 into Calgary for a visit. You know, get to see the place.
“We’ve seen players at other times, too,” Flames general manager Brad Treliving told the Calgary Herald.
“A lot of it is scheduling . . . for a lot of these kids, it’s a busy time for them. They have commitments. In some cases, school . . . we spent time with other players, too, whether it be at their homes leading up to the draft.
“Really, in a lot of cases, it’s selfishly for me to scout them. I’ve talked to a lot of these kids. I get 10, 15-minutes that they’re scheduled (at the NHL combine). For me, it’s getting a little more time in not such a rushed environment, just to chat and learn more about them.”
Last year at the draft, the Flames selected center Sean Monahan with the sixth overall pick. He made the team last year, scoring 22 goals and 34 points as a 19-year-old rookie in the league.
It provides at least a little optimism for Flames fans after some down years.
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 0
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 10
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 64
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 48
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)