Jun 18, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are prepping for the NHL Draft, equipped right now with the fourth overall selection.
So, why not bring in a few of those top prospects – including Sam Bennett, Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart, the top three North American skaters based on NHL Central Scouting’s rankings – who might have their named called by Flames management on June 27 into Calgary for a visit. You know, get to see the place.
“We’ve seen players at other times, too,” Flames general manager Brad Treliving told the Calgary Herald.
“A lot of it is scheduling . . . for a lot of these kids, it’s a busy time for them. They have commitments. In some cases, school . . . we spent time with other players, too, whether it be at their homes leading up to the draft.
“Really, in a lot of cases, it’s selfishly for me to scout them. I’ve talked to a lot of these kids. I get 10, 15-minutes that they’re scheduled (at the NHL combine). For me, it’s getting a little more time in not such a rushed environment, just to chat and learn more about them.”
Last year at the draft, the Flames selected center Sean Monahan with the sixth overall pick. He made the team last year, scoring 22 goals and 34 points as a 19-year-old rookie in the league.
It provides at least a little optimism for Flames fans after some down years.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 6
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36