Jun 18, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
The Calgary Flames are prepping for the NHL Draft, equipped right now with the fourth overall selection.
So, why not bring in a few of those top prospects – including Sam Bennett, Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart, the top three North American skaters based on NHL Central Scouting’s rankings – who might have their named called by Flames management on June 27 into Calgary for a visit. You know, get to see the place.
“We’ve seen players at other times, too,” Flames general manager Brad Treliving told the Calgary Herald.
“A lot of it is scheduling . . . for a lot of these kids, it’s a busy time for them. They have commitments. In some cases, school . . . we spent time with other players, too, whether it be at their homes leading up to the draft.
“Really, in a lot of cases, it’s selfishly for me to scout them. I’ve talked to a lot of these kids. I get 10, 15-minutes that they’re scheduled (at the NHL combine). For me, it’s getting a little more time in not such a rushed environment, just to chat and learn more about them.”
Last year at the draft, the Flames selected center Sean Monahan with the sixth overall pick. He made the team last year, scoring 22 goals and 34 points as a 19-year-old rookie in the league.
It provides at least a little optimism for Flames fans after some down years.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 40
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)