Jun 18, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
A first-rounder from last year’s draft and the potential No. 1 pick at next year’s are among the 42 players invited to the U.S. Junior Evaluation Camp, to be held from Aug. 2-9 in Lake Placid, New York.
Mike McCarron — taken 25th overall by Montreal at the ’13 Draft — and Jack Eichel, regarded by many as a top-two pick in 2015, were two of the 42, USA Hockey announced on Wednesday. The camp will be an important one for the Americans, as they look to bounce back from a disappointing quarterfinal loss at the 2014 World Juniors, just the second time the U.S. has failed to medal at the event in five tries.
In addition to Eichel and McCarron, the U.S. roster features…
— Cole Cassels, son of ex-NHLer Andrew
— Dominic Turgeon, son of ex-NHLer Pierre
— Ryan MacInnis, son of ex-NHLer Al
— Brendan Burke, son of ex-NHLer Sean
The team will be coached by former Ohio State bench boss Mark Osiecki, and will have input from the likes of Don Waddell (international consultant), Tony Granato (camp coach) and Mike Sullivan (camp coach).
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5