Jun 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Two of the most tenured Red Wings are on their way out.
On Wednesday, Detroit GM Ken Holland confirmed that pending UFA forwards Mikael Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi wouldn’t be brought back next year, per the Macomb Daily. Bertuzzi, 39, had nine goals and 16 points in 59 games last season — his fifth in Detroit — while Samuelsson, 37, had one goal and four points in 31 games during his second stint with the Wings (Samuelsson also played in Detroit from 2006-09).
The moves come on the same day that Detroit waived Jordin Tootoo for the purpose of using a compliance buyout on his contract. Tootoo, 31, signed with Detroit in June of ’12, inking a fairly lucrative three-year, $5.7 million deal. The former Nashville Predator never really seemed to fit with the Wings’ style of play and though he continued to showcase his trademark passion and energy, Tootoo always seemed like an odd fit on a puck-possession team. Last year he appeared in just 11 games for the Wings, registering one point.
When he’s bought out, Detroit will owe Tootoo $1.33 million over the next two seasons.
After the dust settles from these moves, the Wings will have $18 million in cap space with 18 players under contract. Unrestricted free agents Daniel Alfredsson, David Legwand, Dan Cleary, Kyle Quincey and Jonas Gustavsson will still need new deals, as will RFAs Danny DeKeyser, Riley Sheahan and Tomas Tatar.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)