Jun 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Two of the most tenured Red Wings are on their way out.
On Wednesday, Detroit GM Ken Holland confirmed that pending UFA forwards Mikael Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi wouldn’t be brought back next year, per the Macomb Daily. Bertuzzi, 39, had nine goals and 16 points in 59 games last season — his fifth in Detroit — while Samuelsson, 37, had one goal and four points in 31 games during his second stint with the Wings (Samuelsson also played in Detroit from 2006-09).
The moves come on the same day that Detroit waived Jordin Tootoo for the purpose of using a compliance buyout on his contract. Tootoo, 31, signed with Detroit in June of ’12, inking a fairly lucrative three-year, $5.7 million deal. The former Nashville Predator never really seemed to fit with the Wings’ style of play and though he continued to showcase his trademark passion and energy, Tootoo always seemed like an odd fit on a puck-possession team. Last year he appeared in just 11 games for the Wings, registering one point.
When he’s bought out, Detroit will owe Tootoo $1.33 million over the next two seasons.
After the dust settles from these moves, the Wings will have $18 million in cap space with 18 players under contract. Unrestricted free agents Daniel Alfredsson, David Legwand, Dan Cleary, Kyle Quincey and Jonas Gustavsson will still need new deals, as will RFAs Danny DeKeyser, Riley Sheahan and Tomas Tatar.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:06 AM EDT
That keeps them in a position to match a potential offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:13 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
David Poile has made the 35-year-old an offer and given him a deadline.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Arizona is getting back its former center.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Its reportedly a one-way deal worth $800,000.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The forward was a part of a seven-player trade on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 29
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 89
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)