Jun 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Two of the most tenured Red Wings are on their way out.
On Wednesday, Detroit GM Ken Holland confirmed that pending UFA forwards Mikael Samuelsson and Todd Bertuzzi wouldn’t be brought back next year, per the Macomb Daily. Bertuzzi, 39, had nine goals and 16 points in 59 games last season — his fifth in Detroit — while Samuelsson, 37, had one goal and four points in 31 games during his second stint with the Wings (Samuelsson also played in Detroit from 2006-09).
The moves come on the same day that Detroit waived Jordin Tootoo for the purpose of using a compliance buyout on his contract. Tootoo, 31, signed with Detroit in June of ’12, inking a fairly lucrative three-year, $5.7 million deal. The former Nashville Predator never really seemed to fit with the Wings’ style of play and though he continued to showcase his trademark passion and energy, Tootoo always seemed like an odd fit on a puck-possession team. Last year he appeared in just 11 games for the Wings, registering one point.
When he’s bought out, Detroit will owe Tootoo $1.33 million over the next two seasons.
After the dust settles from these moves, the Wings will have $18 million in cap space with 18 players under contract. Unrestricted free agents Daniel Alfredsson, David Legwand, Dan Cleary, Kyle Quincey and Jonas Gustavsson will still need new deals, as will RFAs Danny DeKeyser, Riley Sheahan and Tomas Tatar.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)