Jun 17, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
The party was Friday night. What took part Monday was just another part of the celebration.
The L.A. Kings held their Stanley Cup parade and rally on Monday, a way to celebrate the club’s second championship in the last three years with their fans. According to NHL.com, more than 300,000 fans took to the streets near Staples Center to cheer on their team once again.
“It was an emotional, exhausting ride,” Justin Williams said, as per NHL.com. “For us to come out on top after you poured everything that you had into it, and it was good enough, words can’t describe it.”
Well, one man found some words to describe it. Just used some colorful language, was all. L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti, showing his enthusiasm, dropped an F-bomb during his speech to the masses.
Perhaps more impressive than the championship itself was just how the Kings won it. They played in three Game 7s – all on the road. They were down 3-0 in the first round to the San Jose Sharks. Down 3-2 to the Anaheim Ducks in the second round. Down a pair of goals early to the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Chicago Blackhawks, in Game 7 of the conference final.
Their brushes with elimination were numerous, yet they found ways to win time and time again.
“You see this baby, right here?” said head coach Darryl Sutter. “She’s been gone for a couple of years, and we’re happy she’s home.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)