Jun 17, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
The party was Friday night. What took part Monday was just another part of the celebration.
The L.A. Kings held their Stanley Cup parade and rally on Monday, a way to celebrate the club’s second championship in the last three years with their fans. According to NHL.com, more than 300,000 fans took to the streets near Staples Center to cheer on their team once again.
“It was an emotional, exhausting ride,” Justin Williams said, as per NHL.com. “For us to come out on top after you poured everything that you had into it, and it was good enough, words can’t describe it.”
Well, one man found some words to describe it. Just used some colorful language, was all. L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti, showing his enthusiasm, dropped an F-bomb during his speech to the masses.
Perhaps more impressive than the championship itself was just how the Kings won it. They played in three Game 7s – all on the road. They were down 3-0 in the first round to the San Jose Sharks. Down 3-2 to the Anaheim Ducks in the second round. Down a pair of goals early to the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Chicago Blackhawks, in Game 7 of the conference final.
Their brushes with elimination were numerous, yet they found ways to win time and time again.
“You see this baby, right here?” said head coach Darryl Sutter. “She’s been gone for a couple of years, and we’re happy she’s home.”
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)