Jun 17, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
The party was Friday night. What took part Monday was just another part of the celebration.
The L.A. Kings held their Stanley Cup parade and rally on Monday, a way to celebrate the club’s second championship in the last three years with their fans. According to NHL.com, more than 300,000 fans took to the streets near Staples Center to cheer on their team once again.
“It was an emotional, exhausting ride,” Justin Williams said, as per NHL.com. “For us to come out on top after you poured everything that you had into it, and it was good enough, words can’t describe it.”
Well, one man found some words to describe it. Just used some colorful language, was all. L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti, showing his enthusiasm, dropped an F-bomb during his speech to the masses.
Perhaps more impressive than the championship itself was just how the Kings won it. They played in three Game 7s – all on the road. They were down 3-0 in the first round to the San Jose Sharks. Down 3-2 to the Anaheim Ducks in the second round. Down a pair of goals early to the defending Stanley Cup champions, the Chicago Blackhawks, in Game 7 of the conference final.
Their brushes with elimination were numerous, yet they found ways to win time and time again.
“You see this baby, right here?” said head coach Darryl Sutter. “She’s been gone for a couple of years, and we’re happy she’s home.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)