Jun 17, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Brian Burke is usually good for a few good one-liners. Apparently, so too is Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving, especially when it comes to what the rumor mill is churning out.
There was a rumor going around that the Flames had made a bid to land veteran skilled center Jason Spezza in a trade with the Ottawa Senators. Treliving shot down the validity of the report – which came out of the Ottawa Sun and, citing “league sources”, suggested the Flames have offered up Jiri Hudler and Mikael Backlund, as well as a draft pick.
“It’s categorically false,” Treliving told the Calgary Sun.
“I haven’t made any such offers. That’s 100% fantasy island. I saw it early Sunday online and had to read it a couple times and had to remind myself ‘oh ya I’m the Flames GM. Interesting.’’
Spezza, 31, scored 23 goals and 66 points this season for the Senators, the only National Hockey League team he’s played for.
However, it appears he could be on the move, especially since he has requested a trade out of Ottawa.
With a modified no-movement clause in his current contract, which is for seven years and an annual cap hit of $7 million, Spezza has given the Senators a list of 10 teams he will not accept a trade to. It’s been reported that the list includes the other six Canadian teams.
- Ouch: Wild suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)