Jun 17, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Brian Burke is usually good for a few good one-liners. Apparently, so too is Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving, especially when it comes to what the rumor mill is churning out.
There was a rumor going around that the Flames had made a bid to land veteran skilled center Jason Spezza in a trade with the Ottawa Senators. Treliving shot down the validity of the report – which came out of the Ottawa Sun and, citing “league sources”, suggested the Flames have offered up Jiri Hudler and Mikael Backlund, as well as a draft pick.
“It’s categorically false,” Treliving told the Calgary Sun.
“I haven’t made any such offers. That’s 100% fantasy island. I saw it early Sunday online and had to read it a couple times and had to remind myself ‘oh ya I’m the Flames GM. Interesting.’’
Spezza, 31, scored 23 goals and 66 points this season for the Senators, the only National Hockey League team he’s played for.
However, it appears he could be on the move, especially since he has requested a trade out of Ottawa.
With a modified no-movement clause in his current contract, which is for seven years and an annual cap hit of $7 million, Spezza has given the Senators a list of 10 teams he will not accept a trade to. It’s been reported that the list includes the other six Canadian teams.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)