Jun 17, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Brian Burke is usually good for a few good one-liners. Apparently, so too is Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving, especially when it comes to what the rumor mill is churning out.
There was a rumor going around that the Flames had made a bid to land veteran skilled center Jason Spezza in a trade with the Ottawa Senators. Treliving shot down the validity of the report – which came out of the Ottawa Sun and, citing “league sources”, suggested the Flames have offered up Jiri Hudler and Mikael Backlund, as well as a draft pick.
“It’s categorically false,” Treliving told the Calgary Sun.
“I haven’t made any such offers. That’s 100% fantasy island. I saw it early Sunday online and had to read it a couple times and had to remind myself ‘oh ya I’m the Flames GM. Interesting.’’
Spezza, 31, scored 23 goals and 66 points this season for the Senators, the only National Hockey League team he’s played for.
However, it appears he could be on the move, especially since he has requested a trade out of Ottawa.
With a modified no-movement clause in his current contract, which is for seven years and an annual cap hit of $7 million, Spezza has given the Senators a list of 10 teams he will not accept a trade to. It’s been reported that the list includes the other six Canadian teams.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)