Jun 17, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
Brian Burke is usually good for a few good one-liners. Apparently, so too is Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving, especially when it comes to what the rumor mill is churning out.
There was a rumor going around that the Flames had made a bid to land veteran skilled center Jason Spezza in a trade with the Ottawa Senators. Treliving shot down the validity of the report – which came out of the Ottawa Sun and, citing “league sources”, suggested the Flames have offered up Jiri Hudler and Mikael Backlund, as well as a draft pick.
“It’s categorically false,” Treliving told the Calgary Sun.
“I haven’t made any such offers. That’s 100% fantasy island. I saw it early Sunday online and had to read it a couple times and had to remind myself ‘oh ya I’m the Flames GM. Interesting.’’
Spezza, 31, scored 23 goals and 66 points this season for the Senators, the only National Hockey League team he’s played for.
However, it appears he could be on the move, especially since he has requested a trade out of Ottawa.
With a modified no-movement clause in his current contract, which is for seven years and an annual cap hit of $7 million, Spezza has given the Senators a list of 10 teams he will not accept a trade to. It’s been reported that the list includes the other six Canadian teams.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)