Jun 17, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Brian Burke is usually good for a few good one-liners. Apparently, so too is Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving, especially when it comes to what the rumor mill is churning out.
There was a rumor going around that the Flames had made a bid to land veteran skilled center Jason Spezza in a trade with the Ottawa Senators. Treliving shot down the validity of the report – which came out of the Ottawa Sun and, citing “league sources”, suggested the Flames have offered up Jiri Hudler and Mikael Backlund, as well as a draft pick.
“It’s categorically false,” Treliving told the Calgary Sun.
“I haven’t made any such offers. That’s 100% fantasy island. I saw it early Sunday online and had to read it a couple times and had to remind myself ‘oh ya I’m the Flames GM. Interesting.’’
Spezza, 31, scored 23 goals and 66 points this season for the Senators, the only National Hockey League team he’s played for.
However, it appears he could be on the move, especially since he has requested a trade out of Ottawa.
With a modified no-movement clause in his current contract, which is for seven years and an annual cap hit of $7 million, Spezza has given the Senators a list of 10 teams he will not accept a trade to. It’s been reported that the list includes the other six Canadian teams.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)