Jun 17, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Carolina Hurricanes have asked the Los Angeles Kings for permission to interview assistant coach John Stevens for their respective head-coaching vacancies, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Friedman also assumes Vancouver has asked, or will ask, for permission, “but I can’t prove it yet.” Stevens was a candidate to coach the Canucks last season, but the job went to John Tortorella, who’s since been fired.
Meanwhile, Texas Stars coach Willie Desjardins could be available for interviews later this week, if his team can beat St. John’s tonight in Game 5 of the Calder Cup finals. The Stars lead the series, 3-1. Game 6 is Thursday, if necessary, while Game 7 would go Monday.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)