Jun 17, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Carolina Hurricanes have asked the Los Angeles Kings for permission to interview assistant coach John Stevens for their respective head-coaching vacancies, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Friedman also assumes Vancouver has asked, or will ask, for permission, “but I can’t prove it yet.” Stevens was a candidate to coach the Canucks last season, but the job went to John Tortorella, who’s since been fired.
Meanwhile, Texas Stars coach Willie Desjardins could be available for interviews later this week, if his team can beat St. John’s tonight in Game 5 of the Calder Cup finals. The Stars lead the series, 3-1. Game 6 is Thursday, if necessary, while Game 7 would go Monday.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 18
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)