Jun 17, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Carolina Hurricanes have asked the Los Angeles Kings for permission to interview assistant coach John Stevens for their respective head-coaching vacancies, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Friedman also assumes Vancouver has asked, or will ask, for permission, “but I can’t prove it yet.” Stevens was a candidate to coach the Canucks last season, but the job went to John Tortorella, who’s since been fired.
Meanwhile, Texas Stars coach Willie Desjardins could be available for interviews later this week, if his team can beat St. John’s tonight in Game 5 of the Calder Cup finals. The Stars lead the series, 3-1. Game 6 is Thursday, if necessary, while Game 7 would go Monday.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)