Jun 17, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Carolina Hurricanes have asked the Los Angeles Kings for permission to interview assistant coach John Stevens for their respective head-coaching vacancies, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Friedman also assumes Vancouver has asked, or will ask, for permission, “but I can’t prove it yet.” Stevens was a candidate to coach the Canucks last season, but the job went to John Tortorella, who’s since been fired.
Meanwhile, Texas Stars coach Willie Desjardins could be available for interviews later this week, if his team can beat St. John’s tonight in Game 5 of the Calder Cup finals. The Stars lead the series, 3-1. Game 6 is Thursday, if necessary, while Game 7 would go Monday.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 7
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 14
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 69
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (69)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)