Jun 17, 2014, 2:08 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Carolina Hurricanes have asked the Los Angeles Kings for permission to interview assistant coach John Stevens for their respective head-coaching vacancies, according to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Friedman also assumes Vancouver has asked, or will ask, for permission, “but I can’t prove it yet.” Stevens was a candidate to coach the Canucks last season, but the job went to John Tortorella, who’s since been fired.
Meanwhile, Texas Stars coach Willie Desjardins could be available for interviews later this week, if his team can beat St. John’s tonight in Game 5 of the Calder Cup finals. The Stars lead the series, 3-1. Game 6 is Thursday, if necessary, while Game 7 would go Monday.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)