Report: Bay Area to get outdoor game in 2014-15

Jun 17, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT

From Sportsnet’s John Shannon:

It was already reported earlier in the month that the San Jose Sharks expected to host an outdoor game next season.

AT&T Park, the home of the San Francisco Giants, is likely the favorite to host. As we wrote in February, it’s considered one of the most scenic ballparks in Major League Baseball. Though it can be chilly and windy, the backdrop would certainly make for a compelling view.

Levi’s Stadium, in Santa Clara, is the new football home of the 49ers. It seems nice and all…

source:
AP

…but there are lots of football stadiums like that. AT&T Park would be the more unique setting.

Related: Just two outdoor games next year?

1. nelkow - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I thought they were doing more. I heard only two

2. skr213 - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Queue the ignorant comments about (1) the Bay Area not being a hockey market (Sharks have sold out over 99% of games over last 7 seasons), and/or (2) people not even knowing that San Jose is Northern California.

• lordfletcher - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM

that’s not my issue… my issue is that Cali teams are getting outdoor games before colder climates and I could care less about how those teams have performed recently.

106 people play hockey in California — there is your ignorant comment to bash

• donnapicciano - Jun 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Please stay ignorant. 3 Stanley Cups in Cali since 2007. Another thing you may have missed…Santa Margarita High School in south Orange County were the 2013 national varsity champs.

• lordfletcher - Jun 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I see you couldn’t resist the bait. Glad you took it.

“Santa Margarita High School in south Orange County were the 2013 national varsity champs.”

This Minnesotan is shaking his head and laughing at this comment.

(106 people play hockey in California — there is your ignorant comment to bash) that was not to be taking too seriously… Go with the flow of the topic at hand and what I said originally. Could care less that 3 cups have been awarded to Cali teams as the players that won are from around the world.

• longboard19 - Jun 17, 2014 at 8:31 PM

The largest adult hockey league in the US is located in the Bay Area. http://adulthockey.usahockey.com/news_article/show/203816?refferal=rss

• adamal17 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:27 PM

The only issue I have with another Cali team getting another outdoor game is that Minnesota hasn’t gotten one yet. Seeing as how they’re the state of hockey it seams a bit of a slap in the face. Not a fan of either San Jose or Minnesota…Just think the NHL should show a little respect to the fans in Minnesota. Give one to Cali again in 2015-2016.

• donnapicciano - Jun 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

fletcher: you betcha I took the bait. If only to point out the fact that hockey is growing by leaps and bounds in California. Why would you be shaking your head and laughing about my comment about the high school champs being located here in 2013? You can easily fact-check me. The team also had two kids on the team with the last name of Selanne. I love that players from all over the world play in the NHL. Just can’t stand hockey snobs that can’t give credit where credit is due.

• lordfletcher - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

ugh.

don’t take what I said seriously. poking fun, not sure why its so hard to see. Man you Cali kids get bent out of shape if someone doesn’t claim you to be perfect.

Its growing by leaps and bounds because no one played before 1985. Has no where to go but up.

(again – poking fun)

• lordfletcher - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM

if you really don’t see an issue that one state can get 3 outdoor games before others (most in the NHL) don’t get their first, its a bit ridiculous. Don’t you agree?

3. patthehockeyfan - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I vote for AT&T Park. Set the rink in such a way that, when the puck is deflected out of play, there’s no netting and the puck sails into the Bay like a SF Giants’ home run.

4. letsgolightning - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

This is not the Bay Area I was hoping for. Really though, I’d be so happy if the Bolts even got to play as the away team at one of these games. There’s not a stadium I wouldn’t travel to, to see that.

5. govtminion - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM

San Francisco is getting one, but they turned down Denver?

Nothing against San Francisco, mind you, but… really?

6. dbreslow56 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM

If the Sharks are involved they’ll find a way to screw it up!! Toothless, no heart, pick your metaphor to describe that team. How about someone new buying the groceries??

• ibieiniid - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I thought hockey players were supposed to be toothless.

7. sjsharks66 - Jun 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Awesome, can’t wait.

8. norcalsportsknowledge - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

See you there sjsharks66!

9. rushledger - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Coyotes Vs Sharks make it happen! I know the ducks would be a strong candidate as are the kings but they just got the divers stadium game so it be good to let other teams play in these plus that sharks/coyotes rivalry is a good one albeit underrated.

10. blomfeld - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM

MAKES SENSE …

especially given the fact that the center of NHL power today is clearly in California, with the epicenter being at Staples Center ! … today, tomorrow and forever !!! :) :) :)

11. sjsblitz - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I wouldnt mind us playing the Kings :) Would make me that more anxious

• sjsblitz - Jun 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM

*that much more anxious

12. slickvb82 - Jun 17, 2014 at 2:29 PM

This is a crock, how MN is not hosting yet just proves how big of a tool Bettman is. We have two brand new state of the art stadiums that would work perfect for it, bring in the Stars or the Hawks, done deal. Guaranteed great game that the State of Hockey deserves!

• skr213 - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Honestly, I think the potential for super cold conditions is why the NHL isn’t doing it. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll join in whatever Bettman bashing you’ve got, but I think the NHLPA is not happy with MN or Winnipeg or even CO as potential locations because of the potentially too-cold weather.

13. mnwildfan15 - Jun 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM

More proof that Bettman hates Minnesota.

14. bricktop02 - Jun 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Why?

15. savior72 - Jun 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Nice, a place that has no hockey gets an outdoor game. How about a city that actually has a hockey team Gary. Lemme guess,”we’re trying to expand the sport”. Meanwhile you upset actual fans of the sport.

• skr213 - Jun 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Duh, have you heard of the San Jose Sharks? Did you know that San Jose and San Francisco are next to the same little thing called the San Francisco Bay? Sheesh, why do people insist on proving how stupid they are??

16. savior72 - Jun 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

The San Fransisco Sharks actually has a nice ring to it.

17. ronniethec - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM

I totally understand those who feel that other towns deserve an outdoor game. That is fine with me because I don’t enjoy them. However, california and New York State are tied with the most NHL teams….2.5 teams each.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches