Jun 17, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
23.5% — The Kings’ power-play percentage in the postseason, ending a string of three consecutive Cup winners who struggled with the man advantage. (Chicago converted at just 11.4 percent last year; Los Angeles was at 12.8 percent the year before; and Boston was at 11.4 percent they year before that.) The 2014 Kings were particularly dangerous with the man advantage against Chicago in the Western Conference Final, when they went 6-for-19 against the ‘Hawks.
3.38 — Goals per game for the Kings, the most of any team in the playoffs. San Jose finished second, at 3.14; Chicago third, at 3.05. Which is notable, given the Kings, the NHL’s best defensive team during the regular season, played both those teams, allowing a good number of goals to the Sharks (22) and ‘Hawks (23) in their respective seven-game series.
83.3% — The Kings’ penalty kill in the 2014 postseason was decent, but not as effective as it was in 2012 (92.1%). They shut down the Rangers’ PP though, allowing just two goals on 22 New York tries.
1.29 — The Kings’ five-on-five scoring ratio. The highest of any playoff team this year, but lower than the 1.52 mark they put up in 2012, when, as previously noted, they didn’t have the power play going. L.A.’s five-on-five scoring ratio was the lowest for a champion since Chicago’s 1.22 mark in 2010.
In fact, the postseason team stats of the 2014 Kings and 2010 ‘Hawks were remarkably similar:
+14 — The Kings’ third-period goal differential in the postseason. Scored 30, only allowed 16, making it by far their best period. In a related story, L.A. won four games — a quarter of its 16 postseason victories — that it trailed after two periods, including two against the Rangers. The last team to win four playoff games that it trailed after two was the 1999 Dallas Stars.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)