Jun 17, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
Washington goaltender Braden Holtby endured a rough 2013-14 campaign where he appeared to lose the starting job at various times to rookie Philipp Grubauer and trade acquisition Jaroslav Halak. Despite that, Capitals GM Brian MacLellan remains committed to starting next season with Holtby as the team’s number one goaltender.
MacLellan thinks they can get more out of Holtby next season and he suggested that former coach Adam Oates’ policies might have been partially responsible for Holtby’s decline.
“I think there was coaching philosophy change that (Holtby) wasn’t totally comfortable with,” MacLellan told the Washington Post. “I think it changed a little bit throughout the season. Circumstances might have affected his play throughout last year.”
That meshes with Holtby’s assertion in April that Oates’ desire to have goaltenders play deeper in the crease didn’t coincide with his natural instincts.
MacLellan does plan on adding a backup goaltender over the summer though so that 22-year-old Grubauer can get plenty of playing time in the minors.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)