Jun 17, 2014, 1:24 AM EDT
A good team, or in this case, a championship team, doesn’t get built overnight by just anybody.
On Monday, as the L.A. Kings celebrated with their fans the second Stanley Cup in the last three years for the franchise, the team’s captain Dustin Brown was heaping praise on general manager Dean Lombardi for his role in putting this group together.
From NHL.com back in May, before the beginning of the Stanley Cup Final:
Under the direction of Lombardi, the Kings (46-28-8, 100 points) earned their fifth consecutive playoff berth, recorded their fourth 100-point season in franchise history and made their third straight appearance in the Western Conference Final. He solidified the team’s blue line by re-signing defensemen Alec Martinez, Jake Muzzin and Slava Voynov and did the same up front by bringing back Dustin Brown, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis and Jordan Nolan.
“When I talk about my teammates and how we’ve grown that bond, it’s something that you can’t do over the course of two months,” said Brown, as per the L.A. Times. “A big reason why we have the bond we have is because of Dean and his staff.
“He’s a big reason why we could stick together and we’ve been together for hundreds of games and multiple years and that allows us to hopefully bring more of these [Cups] home.”
Certainly, there has been growing chatter about the Kings as a potential dynasty, although not everyone agrees with the notion.
Among Lombardi’s most prominent moves was the addition of forward Marian Gaborik by way of the trade. Gaborik finished fourth in playoff scoring, with three other members of the Kings ahead of him when it was finished. Talk about fitting in. Now the question becomes: Can the relationship last? Gaborik is an unrestricted free agent this summer.
He may also have to make a decision on Mike Richards, who dealt with speculation of a compliance buyout over his head during the post-season. He still has six years left on his current contract, which comes with a cap hit of $5.75 million per season.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Washington makes a lineup change in advance of Game 7 versus the Isles.
- Kronwalled: Red Wings defenseman levels Lightning’s Kucherov 4
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 7
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 14
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)