Jun 17, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
This month or next, Broward County will hire a consultant to examine the Florida Panthers’ controversial request for a package of public funds that’s reportedly worth around $80 million.
From the Sun Sentinel:
Deputy County Administrator Roberto “Rob” Hernandez said the county will be ready in June or early July to hire a financial consultant to review the team’s request.
“For the past several months, we’ve been reviewing their qualifications and experience dealing with renegotiation of agreements with professional sports teams,” Hernandez said in an email, about the staff review of financial consultants.
An actual vote on the matter wouldn’t take place until at least a few months after the consultant is hired.
The Panthers play in the county-owned BB&T Center. In 2013-14, only the Phoenix Coyotes’ average attendance was lower than Florida’s (14,177).
It’s not clear what would happen if the Panthers’ request is voted down. In April, the club’s CEO, Rory Babich, refused to comment to reporters on the potential for the money-losing team to relocate. But the possibility has been raised in meetings with the county.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)