Jun 17, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
This month or next, Broward County will hire a consultant to examine the Florida Panthers’ controversial request for a package of public funds that’s reportedly worth around $80 million.
From the Sun Sentinel:
Deputy County Administrator Roberto “Rob” Hernandez said the county will be ready in June or early July to hire a financial consultant to review the team’s request.
“For the past several months, we’ve been reviewing their qualifications and experience dealing with renegotiation of agreements with professional sports teams,” Hernandez said in an email, about the staff review of financial consultants.
An actual vote on the matter wouldn’t take place until at least a few months after the consultant is hired.
The Panthers play in the county-owned BB&T Center. In 2013-14, only the Phoenix Coyotes’ average attendance was lower than Florida’s (14,177).
It’s not clear what would happen if the Panthers’ request is voted down. In April, the club’s CEO, Rory Babich, refused to comment to reporters on the potential for the money-losing team to relocate. But the possibility has been raised in meetings with the county.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)