Jun 17, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
This month or next, Broward County will hire a consultant to examine the Florida Panthers’ controversial request for a package of public funds that’s reportedly worth around $80 million.
From the Sun Sentinel:
Deputy County Administrator Roberto “Rob” Hernandez said the county will be ready in June or early July to hire a financial consultant to review the team’s request.
“For the past several months, we’ve been reviewing their qualifications and experience dealing with renegotiation of agreements with professional sports teams,” Hernandez said in an email, about the staff review of financial consultants.
An actual vote on the matter wouldn’t take place until at least a few months after the consultant is hired.
The Panthers play in the county-owned BB&T Center. In 2013-14, only the Phoenix Coyotes’ average attendance was lower than Florida’s (14,177).
It’s not clear what would happen if the Panthers’ request is voted down. In April, the club’s CEO, Rory Babich, refused to comment to reporters on the potential for the money-losing team to relocate. But the possibility has been raised in meetings with the county.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)