Jun 17, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
The Texas Stars are the 2014 Calder Cup champions of the American Hockey League, thanks to their 4-3 overtime victory over the St. John’s IceCaps on Tuesday.
Defenseman Patrik Nemeth, a second-round pick of the Dallas Stars in 2010, scored the winner, and it came on his very first goal of the entire playoffs. For the third consecutive game in this series, the deciding goal came in the extra period.
(Photo courtesy Colin Peddle.)
“The teams have been very conscientious about the playoffs, so they haven’t asked for permission yet, but I’ll definitely grant it,” Dallas general manager Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News five days ago.
His celebration of this championship could be short-lived. But here’s a brief look at Twitter’s reaction.
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 4
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 12
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 115
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (115)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)