Jun 17, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
The Texas Stars are the 2014 Calder Cup champions of the American Hockey League, thanks to their 4-3 overtime victory over the St. John’s IceCaps on Tuesday.
Defenseman Patrik Nemeth, a second-round pick of the Dallas Stars in 2010, scored the winner, and it came on his very first goal of the entire playoffs. For the third consecutive game in this series, the deciding goal came in the extra period.
(Photo courtesy Colin Peddle.)
“The teams have been very conscientious about the playoffs, so they haven’t asked for permission yet, but I’ll definitely grant it,” Dallas general manager Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News five days ago.
His celebration of this championship could be short-lived. But here’s a brief look at Twitter’s reaction.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 51
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 52
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 160
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (161)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)