Jun 17, 2014, 9:44 PM EST
The Texas Stars are the 2014 Calder Cup champions of the American Hockey League, thanks to their 4-3 overtime victory over the St. John’s IceCaps on Tuesday.
Defenseman Patrik Nemeth, a second-round pick of the Dallas Stars in 2010, scored the winner, and it came on his very first goal of the entire playoffs. For the third consecutive game in this series, the deciding goal came in the extra period.
(Photo courtesy Colin Peddle.)
“The teams have been very conscientious about the playoffs, so they haven’t asked for permission yet, but I’ll definitely grant it,” Dallas general manager Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News five days ago.
His celebration of this championship could be short-lived. But here’s a brief look at Twitter’s reaction.
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 5
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21