Jun 17, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
The Texas Stars are the 2014 Calder Cup champions of the American Hockey League, thanks to their 4-3 overtime victory over the St. John’s IceCaps on Tuesday.
Defenseman Patrik Nemeth, a second-round pick of the Dallas Stars in 2010, scored the winner, and it came on his very first goal of the entire playoffs. For the third consecutive game in this series, the deciding goal came in the extra period.
(Photo courtesy Colin Peddle.)
“The teams have been very conscientious about the playoffs, so they haven’t asked for permission yet, but I’ll definitely grant it,” Dallas general manager Jim Nill told the Dallas Morning News five days ago.
His celebration of this championship could be short-lived. But here’s a brief look at Twitter’s reaction.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)