Jun 17, 2014, 1:04 PM EST
“Ryan would like to stay in Colorado. At the same time, a long-term deal has not been worked out, or isn’t close to being worked out. So, Ryan’s unrestricted in two years, and under the model now – given that Colorado has [filed for arbitration] – short-term looks like what the future is for Ryan going forward, possibly year to year, or for the next two years.”
That was Ryan O’Reilly‘s agent, Pat Morris, this afternoon on Sportsnet 590 The FAN radio in Toronto.
In case you couldn’t tell, it was a strong message to the Avalanche that the team is playing a dangerous game, and risks losing the 23-year-old forward for nothing in a couple of years.
“We’re now preparing for an arbitration case that we didn’t think we’d have to attend to,” said Morris. “And at the same time, as of the 25th of June, people can entertain talking to [restricted free agents], and he’s an RFA effectively until July 5th, at which time period then it’s just an arbitration case beyond that.”
If it does go to arbitration, O’Reilly could pick a one-year or two-year award. Or, he could sign an offer sheet between July 1-5.
“We had some warning that the [arbitration option] might be a situation that they take advantage of,” said Morris. “It’s within the CBA. Ryan understands that. He also understands that it’s unique – no player (in the new CBA) has been [taken to arbitration] for a pay-cut that is of his stature.”
All of which is why, unless a long-term deal is signed soon, you can expect to hear O’Reilly’s name in trade speculation. Remember that things got ugly between him and the Avs the last time they tried to work out a deal, and while RFA negotiations can often be tough, they don’t seem to be headed in the right direction, once again.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 1
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)