Jun 16, 2014, 11:02 AM EST
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Let’s kill two birds with one stone here. One, we get our UFA of the Day out of the way for today. Two, we can pass along the news that Hemsky will indeed be going to free agency.
Hemsky had 13 goals and 30 assists in 75 games in 2013-14. His career year came in 2005-06, when he had 77 points for the Oilers.
According to the Ottawa Sun, Hemsky is looking for “north of $5.5 million” per season, which is what he made in actual salary this past season, and quite a bit more than what the Sens reportedly offered him to re-sign.
The challenge for Hemsky (or his agent) is that, while it may be “a good year to be a UFA,” there’s a number of wingers (Thomas Vanek, Marian Gaborik, Mike Cammalleri, Jarome Iginla, Matt Moulson, etc.) for teams to pursue, at least compared to the number of quality centers and defensemen.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32