Jun 16, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Let’s kill two birds with one stone here. One, we get our UFA of the Day out of the way for today. Two, we can pass along the news that Hemsky will indeed be going to free agency.
Hemsky had 13 goals and 30 assists in 75 games in 2013-14. His career year came in 2005-06, when he had 77 points for the Oilers.
According to the Ottawa Sun, Hemsky is looking for “north of $5.5 million” per season, which is what he made in actual salary this past season, and quite a bit more than what the Sens reportedly offered him to re-sign.
The challenge for Hemsky (or his agent) is that, while it may be “a good year to be a UFA,” there’s a number of wingers (Thomas Vanek, Marian Gaborik, Mike Cammalleri, Jarome Iginla, Matt Moulson, etc.) for teams to pursue, at least compared to the number of quality centers and defensemen.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)