Jun 16, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Let’s kill two birds with one stone here. One, we get our UFA of the Day out of the way for today. Two, we can pass along the news that Hemsky will indeed be going to free agency.
Hemsky had 13 goals and 30 assists in 75 games in 2013-14. His career year came in 2005-06, when he had 77 points for the Oilers.
According to the Ottawa Sun, Hemsky is looking for “north of $5.5 million” per season, which is what he made in actual salary this past season, and quite a bit more than what the Sens reportedly offered him to re-sign.
The challenge for Hemsky (or his agent) is that, while it may be “a good year to be a UFA,” there’s a number of wingers (Thomas Vanek, Marian Gaborik, Mike Cammalleri, Jarome Iginla, Matt Moulson, etc.) for teams to pursue, at least compared to the number of quality centers and defensemen.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (94)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)