Jun 16, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
Let’s kill two birds with one stone here. One, we get our UFA of the Day out of the way for today. Two, we can pass along the news that Hemsky will indeed be going to free agency.
Hemsky had 13 goals and 30 assists in 75 games in 2013-14. His career year came in 2005-06, when he had 77 points for the Oilers.
According to the Ottawa Sun, Hemsky is looking for “north of $5.5 million” per season, which is what he made in actual salary this past season, and quite a bit more than what the Sens reportedly offered him to re-sign.
The challenge for Hemsky (or his agent) is that, while it may be “a good year to be a UFA,” there’s a number of wingers (Thomas Vanek, Marian Gaborik, Mike Cammalleri, Jarome Iginla, Matt Moulson, etc.) for teams to pursue, at least compared to the number of quality centers and defensemen.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)