Jun 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Dale Weise clearly enjoyed playing in Montreal the past few months. The Canadiens very well could feel the rugged winger fits into their plans moving forward.
Weise, a pending restricted free agent who was on a one-year contract worth a $750,000 cap hit, and the Habs are reportedly close to a new deal, according to a report from Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports. Lavoie stated on Twitter that the deal could be confirmed as early as Tuesday.
Weise may never be known as a goal scorer, his physical game suiting him more for a solid fourth-line role with the ability to move up to the third line if need be. But in 17 regular season games with Montreal, he scored three times, the same amount he had in Vancouver in 44 games.
He clearly fell out of favor with Vancouver’s now former bench boss John Tortorella, but gained the trust of Michel Therrien. It no doubt helped his cause that he was able to chip in offensively in the post-season.
However, Weise’s playoffs came to an end in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final when he suffered a concussion on a hit to the head from New York Rangers defenseman John Moore, who received a two-game suspension.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)