Jun 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Dale Weise clearly enjoyed playing in Montreal the past few months. The Canadiens very well could feel the rugged winger fits into their plans moving forward.
Weise, a pending restricted free agent who was on a one-year contract worth a $750,000 cap hit, and the Habs are reportedly close to a new deal, according to a report from Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports. Lavoie stated on Twitter that the deal could be confirmed as early as Tuesday.
Weise may never be known as a goal scorer, his physical game suiting him more for a solid fourth-line role with the ability to move up to the third line if need be. But in 17 regular season games with Montreal, he scored three times, the same amount he had in Vancouver in 44 games.
He clearly fell out of favor with Vancouver’s now former bench boss John Tortorella, but gained the trust of Michel Therrien. It no doubt helped his cause that he was able to chip in offensively in the post-season.
However, Weise’s playoffs came to an end in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final when he suffered a concussion on a hit to the head from New York Rangers defenseman John Moore, who received a two-game suspension.
- Devils fire DeBoer 5
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 8
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)