Jun 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Dale Weise clearly enjoyed playing in Montreal the past few months. The Canadiens very well could feel the rugged winger fits into their plans moving forward.
Weise, a pending restricted free agent who was on a one-year contract worth a $750,000 cap hit, and the Habs are reportedly close to a new deal, according to a report from Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports. Lavoie stated on Twitter that the deal could be confirmed as early as Tuesday.
Weise may never be known as a goal scorer, his physical game suiting him more for a solid fourth-line role with the ability to move up to the third line if need be. But in 17 regular season games with Montreal, he scored three times, the same amount he had in Vancouver in 44 games.
He clearly fell out of favor with Vancouver’s now former bench boss John Tortorella, but gained the trust of Michel Therrien. It no doubt helped his cause that he was able to chip in offensively in the post-season.
However, Weise’s playoffs came to an end in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final when he suffered a concussion on a hit to the head from New York Rangers defenseman John Moore, who received a two-game suspension.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 7
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 26
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (115)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)