Jun 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Dale Weise clearly enjoyed playing in Montreal the past few months. The Canadiens very well could feel the rugged winger fits into their plans moving forward.
Weise, a pending restricted free agent who was on a one-year contract worth a $750,000 cap hit, and the Habs are reportedly close to a new deal, according to a report from Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports. Lavoie stated on Twitter that the deal could be confirmed as early as Tuesday.
Weise may never be known as a goal scorer, his physical game suiting him more for a solid fourth-line role with the ability to move up to the third line if need be. But in 17 regular season games with Montreal, he scored three times, the same amount he had in Vancouver in 44 games.
He clearly fell out of favor with Vancouver’s now former bench boss John Tortorella, but gained the trust of Michel Therrien. It no doubt helped his cause that he was able to chip in offensively in the post-season.
However, Weise’s playoffs came to an end in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final when he suffered a concussion on a hit to the head from New York Rangers defenseman John Moore, who received a two-game suspension.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)