Jun 16, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Andrei Markov has been a staple of the Montreal Canadiens lineup for 13 seasons and now he’s looking for a raise.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the 35-year-old defenseman is seeking a three-year deal from the Habs worth $18 million.
Markov is coming off a three-year deal that paid him $17.25 million but there’s a big difference between that deal and what he’s seeking now — age.
At 35 years old, the rules change when it comes to contracts meaning the Habs would be stuck with Markov’s cap hit whether he’s playing or he’s retired. With the history of injuries he has had in recent years, it’s understandable why the Habs would be hesitant to give him three years.
This season, Markov had seven goals and 43 points in 81 games. His points per-game pace of 0.53 was below his career average (0.58) and his lowest in a full season since 2003-04. Buyer beware.
Jul 5, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Some depth for the Bolts.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
He shared his story (and struggles) this past week.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
It may leave them in a “cap vise.”
Jul 5, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
That doesn’t guarantee that a hearing would take place, though.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Brandon Dubinsky is the latest to pipe up.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Vancouver started its development camp this weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
His offensive totals were down, but was regularly used on penalty kill.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Spent most of the 2014-15 season in the OHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
They had agreed to terms last weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Will he make the 2015-16 Flyers?
Jul 4, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Washington’s AHL tandem has more NHL playing experience than Holtby and Grubauer.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He usually gets at least one stint in the NHL per season.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT
The two sides reportedly aren’t close to an agreement.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
What role he has could depend on the Kings and league’s decision regarding Slava Voynov.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)