Jun 16, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
The New York Islanders added to their coaching and front office staff on Monday, hiring ex-Leafs assistant Greg Cronin while promoting Doug Weight to assistant GM after he’d previously served as Garth Snow’s senior advisor.
Per Newsday’s Arthur Staple, Weight will continue to serve in his dual role as assistant coach, and club also officially named Bob Corkum as one of Jack Capuano’s assistants as well.
The new man on the job, though, is Cronin, who spent the last three years serving under both Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle in Toronto before getting fired in early May. While a new face, Cronin has much history on Long Island; he spent four years as an assistant with the Islanders from 1999-2003, working under Butch Goring and Peter Laviolette, then served two years as the head coach for New York’s AHL affiliate in Bridgeport before returning to coach collegiate hockey.
It’s no surprise Snow went the familiarity route with the hire. The Isles’ coaching staff and front office is littered with alumni; in addition to the guys mentioned above, former goalie Mike Dunham currently serves as the team’s goaltending coach while former Islander great Ken Morrow is the team’s director of pro scouting.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)