Jun 16, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
The New York Islanders added to their coaching and front office staff on Monday, hiring ex-Leafs assistant Greg Cronin while promoting Doug Weight to assistant GM after he’d previously served as Garth Snow’s senior advisor.
Per Newsday’s Arthur Staple, Weight will continue to serve in his dual role as assistant coach, and club also officially named Bob Corkum as one of Jack Capuano’s assistants as well.
The new man on the job, though, is Cronin, who spent the last three years serving under both Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle in Toronto before getting fired in early May. While a new face, Cronin has much history on Long Island; he spent four years as an assistant with the Islanders from 1999-2003, working under Butch Goring and Peter Laviolette, then served two years as the head coach for New York’s AHL affiliate in Bridgeport before returning to coach collegiate hockey.
It’s no surprise Snow went the familiarity route with the hire. The Isles’ coaching staff and front office is littered with alumni; in addition to the guys mentioned above, former goalie Mike Dunham currently serves as the team’s goaltending coach while former Islander great Ken Morrow is the team’s director of pro scouting.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)