Jun 16, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
The New York Islanders added to their coaching and front office staff on Monday, hiring ex-Leafs assistant Greg Cronin while promoting Doug Weight to assistant GM after he’d previously served as Garth Snow’s senior advisor.
Per Newsday’s Arthur Staple, Weight will continue to serve in his dual role as assistant coach, and club also officially named Bob Corkum as one of Jack Capuano’s assistants as well.
The new man on the job, though, is Cronin, who spent the last three years serving under both Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle in Toronto before getting fired in early May. While a new face, Cronin has much history on Long Island; he spent four years as an assistant with the Islanders from 1999-2003, working under Butch Goring and Peter Laviolette, then served two years as the head coach for New York’s AHL affiliate in Bridgeport before returning to coach collegiate hockey.
It’s no surprise Snow went the familiarity route with the hire. The Isles’ coaching staff and front office is littered with alumni; in addition to the guys mentioned above, former goalie Mike Dunham currently serves as the team’s goaltending coach while former Islander great Ken Morrow is the team’s director of pro scouting.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)