Jun 16, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
The New York Islanders added to their coaching and front office staff on Monday, hiring ex-Leafs assistant Greg Cronin while promoting Doug Weight to assistant GM after he’d previously served as Garth Snow’s senior advisor.
Per Newsday’s Arthur Staple, Weight will continue to serve in his dual role as assistant coach, and club also officially named Bob Corkum as one of Jack Capuano’s assistants as well.
The new man on the job, though, is Cronin, who spent the last three years serving under both Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle in Toronto before getting fired in early May. While a new face, Cronin has much history on Long Island; he spent four years as an assistant with the Islanders from 1999-2003, working under Butch Goring and Peter Laviolette, then served two years as the head coach for New York’s AHL affiliate in Bridgeport before returning to coach collegiate hockey.
It’s no surprise Snow went the familiarity route with the hire. The Isles’ coaching staff and front office is littered with alumni; in addition to the guys mentioned above, former goalie Mike Dunham currently serves as the team’s goaltending coach while former Islander great Ken Morrow is the team’s director of pro scouting.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)