Jun 16, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
The New York Islanders added to their coaching and front office staff on Monday, hiring ex-Leafs assistant Greg Cronin while promoting Doug Weight to assistant GM after he’d previously served as Garth Snow’s senior advisor.
Per Newsday’s Arthur Staple, Weight will continue to serve in his dual role as assistant coach, and club also officially named Bob Corkum as one of Jack Capuano’s assistants as well.
The new man on the job, though, is Cronin, who spent the last three years serving under both Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle in Toronto before getting fired in early May. While a new face, Cronin has much history on Long Island; he spent four years as an assistant with the Islanders from 1999-2003, working under Butch Goring and Peter Laviolette, then served two years as the head coach for New York’s AHL affiliate in Bridgeport before returning to coach collegiate hockey.
It’s no surprise Snow went the familiarity route with the hire. The Isles’ coaching staff and front office is littered with alumni; in addition to the guys mentioned above, former goalie Mike Dunham currently serves as the team’s goaltending coach while former Islander great Ken Morrow is the team’s director of pro scouting.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)