Jun 16, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Handzus is 37 years old, so this should come as no surprise. Despite scoring the overtime winner in Game 5 of the Western Conference Final versus the Kings, he struggled to keep up with the pace of the postseason. The popular veteran forward was never really supposed to go into these playoffs as the Blackhawks’ second-line center, but that’s the way it happened.
So…will Chicago general manager Stan Bowman make a move to address the 2c spot (behind 1C Jonathan Toews)? Ryan Kesler and Jason Spezza are expected to be traded this summer; the former has two years left on his contract, the latter just one. But neither will come cheap, and the ‘Hawks don’t have a ton of cap space.
Bowman could always see if Andrew Shaw is up to task; the 22-year-old had success between Patrick Kane and Brandon Saad in the playoffs. But the ‘Hawks may prefer Shaw on the third line, in a more gritty role.
Yes, the ‘Hawks also have Teuvo Teravainen in the system; however, it’s far too early to slot him into a top-six role on a Stanley Cup contender. The 19-year-old may be better off spending next season in the AHL.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)