Jun 16, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Handzus is 37 years old, so this should come as no surprise. Despite scoring the overtime winner in Game 5 of the Western Conference Final versus the Kings, he struggled to keep up with the pace of the postseason. The popular veteran forward was never really supposed to go into these playoffs as the Blackhawks’ second-line center, but that’s the way it happened.
So…will Chicago general manager Stan Bowman make a move to address the 2c spot (behind 1C Jonathan Toews)? Ryan Kesler and Jason Spezza are expected to be traded this summer; the former has two years left on his contract, the latter just one. But neither will come cheap, and the ‘Hawks don’t have a ton of cap space.
Bowman could always see if Andrew Shaw is up to task; the 22-year-old had success between Patrick Kane and Brandon Saad in the playoffs. But the ‘Hawks may prefer Shaw on the third line, in a more gritty role.
Yes, the ‘Hawks also have Teuvo Teravainen in the system; however, it’s far too early to slot him into a top-six role on a Stanley Cup contender. The 19-year-old may be better off spending next season in the AHL.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 47
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)