Jun 16, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Handzus is 37 years old, so this should come as no surprise. Despite scoring the overtime winner in Game 5 of the Western Conference Final versus the Kings, he struggled to keep up with the pace of the postseason. The popular veteran forward was never really supposed to go into these playoffs as the Blackhawks’ second-line center, but that’s the way it happened.
So…will Chicago general manager Stan Bowman make a move to address the 2c spot (behind 1C Jonathan Toews)? Ryan Kesler and Jason Spezza are expected to be traded this summer; the former has two years left on his contract, the latter just one. But neither will come cheap, and the ‘Hawks don’t have a ton of cap space.
Bowman could always see if Andrew Shaw is up to task; the 22-year-old had success between Patrick Kane and Brandon Saad in the playoffs. But the ‘Hawks may prefer Shaw on the third line, in a more gritty role.
Yes, the ‘Hawks also have Teuvo Teravainen in the system; however, it’s far too early to slot him into a top-six role on a Stanley Cup contender. The 19-year-old may be better off spending next season in the AHL.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)