Jun 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
One of the three remaining head coaching gigs available will be filled in the next 11 days.
Florida GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald his club will “definitely” have its new bench boss in place before the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, which will be held on June 27 in Philadelphia.
More, from the Herald:
Tallon wouldn’t divulge names on Monday afternoon, a source within the organization said former Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma, former Vancouver and Colorado coach Marc Crawford and former Columbus coach Gerard Gallant are being seriously considered for the job.
Detroit Red Wing assistants Tom Renney and Bill Peters are also in the conversation.
“They are all different guys and they are all interesting coaches,” Tallon said. “We’ll find the right fit. We met with all of them in New York last week and now we’re narrowing things down.
“It’s going really good. They all want to come here because of what we have. We have a good young core of players and are committed to winning. They want to be a part of it.”
Given the speed in which Tallon contacted Bylsma after he was fired in Pittsburgh — reports suggest Tallon called him the same day — it stands to reason Disco Dan is at, or very near, the top of Florida’s list.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)