Jun 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EST
One of the three remaining head coaching gigs available will be filled in the next 11 days.
Florida GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald his club will “definitely” have its new bench boss in place before the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, which will be held on June 27 in Philadelphia.
More, from the Herald:
Tallon wouldn’t divulge names on Monday afternoon, a source within the organization said former Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma, former Vancouver and Colorado coach Marc Crawford and former Columbus coach Gerard Gallant are being seriously considered for the job.
Detroit Red Wing assistants Tom Renney and Bill Peters are also in the conversation.
“They are all different guys and they are all interesting coaches,” Tallon said. “We’ll find the right fit. We met with all of them in New York last week and now we’re narrowing things down.
“It’s going really good. They all want to come here because of what we have. We have a good young core of players and are committed to winning. They want to be a part of it.”
Given the speed in which Tallon contacted Bylsma after he was fired in Pittsburgh — reports suggest Tallon called him the same day — it stands to reason Disco Dan is at, or very near, the top of Florida’s list.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)