Jun 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
One of the three remaining head coaching gigs available will be filled in the next 11 days.
Florida GM Dale Tallon told the Miami Herald his club will “definitely” have its new bench boss in place before the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, which will be held on June 27 in Philadelphia.
More, from the Herald:
Tallon wouldn’t divulge names on Monday afternoon, a source within the organization said former Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma, former Vancouver and Colorado coach Marc Crawford and former Columbus coach Gerard Gallant are being seriously considered for the job.
Detroit Red Wing assistants Tom Renney and Bill Peters are also in the conversation.
“They are all different guys and they are all interesting coaches,” Tallon said. “We’ll find the right fit. We met with all of them in New York last week and now we’re narrowing things down.
“It’s going really good. They all want to come here because of what we have. We have a good young core of players and are committed to winning. They want to be a part of it.”
Given the speed in which Tallon contacted Bylsma after he was fired in Pittsburgh — reports suggest Tallon called him the same day — it stands to reason Disco Dan is at, or very near, the top of Florida’s list.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)