Jun 16, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
From CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley, after Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan held a conference call earlier today:
It’s that second tweet, about getting aggressive to land a top defenseman, that drew our attention. In unrestricted free agency, the options are limited for MacLellan, with Matt Niskanen, Dan Boyle and Andrei Markov among the top names available. The former is 27 years old and in line for a big contract; the other two are aging blue-liners whose best years are behind them.
MacLellan could also get aggressive in a trade. (I threw out the name Jason Garrison on Twitter, and was promptly rebuffed by Caps fans. Feel free to throw out your own ideas in the comments section.)
CSN Washington has more from MacLellan’s call here.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5