Jun 16, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
From CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley, after Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan held a conference call earlier today:
It’s that second tweet, about getting aggressive to land a top defenseman, that drew our attention. In unrestricted free agency, the options are limited for MacLellan, with Matt Niskanen, Dan Boyle and Andrei Markov among the top names available. The former is 27 years old and in line for a big contract; the other two are aging blue-liners whose best years are behind them.
MacLellan could also get aggressive in a trade. (I threw out the name Jason Garrison on Twitter, and was promptly rebuffed by Caps fans. Feel free to throw out your own ideas in the comments section.)
CSN Washington has more from MacLellan’s call here.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 14
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25