Jun 16, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
From CSN Washington’s Chuck Gormley, after Capitals general manager Brian MacLellan held a conference call earlier today:
It’s that second tweet, about getting aggressive to land a top defenseman, that drew our attention. In unrestricted free agency, the options are limited for MacLellan, with Matt Niskanen, Dan Boyle and Andrei Markov among the top names available. The former is 27 years old and in line for a big contract; the other two are aging blue-liners whose best years are behind them.
MacLellan could also get aggressive in a trade. (I threw out the name Jason Garrison on Twitter, and was promptly rebuffed by Caps fans. Feel free to throw out your own ideas in the comments section.)
CSN Washington has more from MacLellan’s call here.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22