Jun 16, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals are keeping their front office business in-house.
The team announced they’ve promoted Ross Mahoney to be the new assistant general manager under new GM Brian MacLellan.
Mahoney has been serving as the team’s director of amateur scouting for the past 16 seasons. MacLellan had been the previous assistant GM under the now deposed George McPhee.
From the team’s press release:
“Ross is an excellent judge of talent and the success he has enjoyed on the amateur scouting level speaks volumes of his expertise,” said MacLellan. “He is a great asset for our hockey operations staff and someone I greatly respect.”
Before his time in Washington, Mahoney was a scout with the Sabres and Canucks. Now he’ll be MacLellan’s right hand man and will look to get owner Ted Leonsis’ team back on track. The Capitals have a bit of work to do this summer to get the team back to the playoffs.
The Capitals are sticking with chemistry with their hirings of late. They signed Mitch Korn, formerly of the Nashville Predators, to be the new goaltending coach and work alongside new head coach Barry Trotz.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)