Jun 16, 2014, 4:59 PM EST
David Booth‘s agent, Mike Liut, hasn’t heard from the Vancouver Canucks about the possibility his client could be bought out of his remaining contract.
“I haven’t heard anything from Vancouver (today),” Liut told The Province this morning. “I called [Canucks general manager Jim Benning] a couple of weeks ago and spoke with him about David then. That was before before the club’s meetings and he was still getting up to speed on things. I asked him to give me a heads-up if they came to a decision.”
Booth, 29, had nine goals in 66 games for the Canucks in 2013-14. He was also an occasional healthy scratch and spent some time in the AHL on a conditioning assignment.
With just one year remaining on his contract (cap hit $4.25 million), the Canucks may choose to keep Booth and hope the veteran winger can regain the form that made him a three-time 20-goal scorer in Florida. Or, they could try to trade him, perhaps offering to retain part of his salary in the deal.
Vancouver has already used one of its two compliance buyouts, last summer on Keith Ballard. Besides Booth, Jason Garrison and Alex Burrows are the other Canucks that have been bandied about as potential buyout candidates.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)