Jun 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
You can count the Calgary Flames as one of the early teams to reportedly make a bid on Ottawa Senators captain Jason Spezza. The only problem is he doesn’t want to play there or anywhere else in the country, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Spezza, who has requested a trade, has reportedly put the Flames, Winnipeg Jets, Vancouver Canucks, and Edmonton Oilers on his list of 10 teams he won’t move to. Senators GM Bryan Murray doesn’t want to trade Spezza within the Atlantic Division, so that likely rules out the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens regardless of whether or not Spezza bothered to put them on the list.
Murray suggested that Spezza wants out in part because he felt he was being blamed too often when the Senators struggled and he might feel like he would be in a similar situation in other Canadian markets.
There’s some early speculation that the Anaheim Ducks and St. Louis Blues might be interested in Spezza’s services, but the process will be complicated by the fact that center Ryan Kesler might also be on the market.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)