Jun 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
You can count the Calgary Flames as one of the early teams to reportedly make a bid on Ottawa Senators captain Jason Spezza. The only problem is he doesn’t want to play there or anywhere else in the country, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Spezza, who has requested a trade, has reportedly put the Flames, Winnipeg Jets, Vancouver Canucks, and Edmonton Oilers on his list of 10 teams he won’t move to. Senators GM Bryan Murray doesn’t want to trade Spezza within the Atlantic Division, so that likely rules out the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens regardless of whether or not Spezza bothered to put them on the list.
Murray suggested that Spezza wants out in part because he felt he was being blamed too often when the Senators struggled and he might feel like he would be in a similar situation in other Canadian markets.
There’s some early speculation that the Anaheim Ducks and St. Louis Blues might be interested in Spezza’s services, but the process will be complicated by the fact that center Ryan Kesler might also be on the market.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)